The Manager of K-5 Curriculum Projects leads the creation, curation, continual improvement, and communication of Summit’s K-5 curricula and assessments within Summit and with educators across the country. We are seeking a dynamic leader with a passion for and expertise in curriculum and assessment at the elementary level. The Manager of K-5 Curriculum Projects will collaborate extensively with the Senior Director of C&A to oversee curricular projects for the entire C&A Team. This individual will manage the relationships, processes, and contracts with a number of external partners and vendors. While this individual will need to have the credibility that comes with experience and the theoretical grounding to make strategic decisions impacting thousands of students across the country, the leadership skill we most desire is the ability to drive principled action aligned to a compelling vision of personalized learning.
Who we are:
Summit Public Schools is a leading charter management organization serving diverse communities in the San Francisco Bay Area and Washington State with currently 11 schools serving over 3,000 students. Through the Summit Basecamp Program, we have partnered with over 100 public schools in twenty-seven states and the District of Columbia, and are providing over 20,000 students a truly personalized learning experience. Summit’s mission is to ensure that every student has the opportunity to not only attend, but succeed in, a four-year college or university.
Summit’s mission is to ensure that every student has the opportunity to not only attend, but succeed in, a four-year college or university. Driven by our unwavering commitment to our core values, Summit works every day to ensure our students are receiving a world-class education. We seek phenomenal individuals with the talents needed to transform children's lives, as well as those who are interested in working on the cutting edge of education. If you're excited by the prospect of transformative growth for yourself, as well as the students, schools, and communities we serve, Summit may be the place for you!
- 99 percent of Summit students have been accepted to one or more four-year colleges, and its graduates are completing college at double the national average
- Fast Company named Summit Public Schools a top 10 most innovative organization in education
- Our two flagship schools, Summit Prep and Everest, are named among US News & World Report's Best High Schools of 2015, and also ranked among America's Most Challenging High Schools by the Washington Post
- Summit has a fully Common Core aligned curriculum, and has worked with university, technology, and non-profit partners to continually improve. This curriculum is made available for free to our many Summit Learning Program partners across the nation and, soon, around the world. You can explore the curriculum here, using the demo code qwbhiscx.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Stay abreast of research and trends involving curriculum and assessment.
- Ensure completion, excellence, and accessibility of Summit’s curricula and assessments within and beyond Summit.
- Train educators in implementing curricula and assessments.
- Serve as a collaborative team member, moving forward with projects involving the research, creation, faculty training, and revision of a world-class competency-based curriculum.
- Effectively manage external partnerships related to curriculum and assessment. Existing partners include WiseWire, Certica, Common Sense Education, Facebook, Basecamp, and the Stanford Center for Assessment, Learning, and Equity.
- Lead the design, development, and continuous improvement of curriculum and assessment creation and iteration protocols that align to core values.
- Develop, design, and conduct professional development for educators, funders, and designers.
- Represent Summit and the team compellingly in leadership capacity internally and externally.
- Coach teachers, team leaders, and school leaders on effectively implementing curricular initiatives.
- Regularly conduct appropriate needs assessments, and build consensus for actionable solutions to demonstrated needs.
- Effectively monitor progress of team, projects, and quality curriculum and assessment products.
- Serve as a resource for educators concerning academic models, structures, curriculum, and instruction.
- Champion relevant personalized learning initiatives in Summit and Summit Learning Program schools.
- Share best practices effectively and scalably.
- Report regularly to the Senior Director of Curriculum and Assessment so that resources can be most effectively deployed to schools, departments, and individuals.
Key Qualities and Skills:
- Data analysis: Plans to collect, evaluate, and act upon important information
- Strategic planning: Creates a strategic plan, with the support of the team
- Progress monitoring: Continually tracks progress of programs and implementation to inform leadership actions
- Strategic communication: Proactively communicates with all stakeholders
- Planning learning experiences: Models skills-based, personalized instruction
- Providing honest, actionable, and timely feedback: Seeks feedback to improve practice, incorporates feedback to develop, and offers feedback that pushes others towards excellence
- Learning orientation: Driven to improve performance in order to meet high internal standards of excellence
- Initiative: Ready to act and seize opportunities; drives personal growth and takes ownership over work
- Resiliency: Identifies and pursues solutions when faced with setbacks; stays focused on objectives though tactics may require adaptation
- Meet health clearance, and pass the reference, background/criminal checks, per education code.
- Credible experience with systems-level curriculum and assessment programs
- Experience managing teams
- Master’s degree in education, teaching, learning design, and/or curriculum.
- Project management experience strongly preferred.
- Ability to travel to various school and organization sites in the San Francisco bay area, Seattle-Tacoma region and to Summit Learning Program schools across the country.