The Senior Director of Schools (Head of Schools) leads a passionate, dedicated team of school leaders to realize the vision of high-performing, personalized schools for all Summit Public Schools’ students and families across a subset of the 11 Summit campuses. As a senior leader on the Schools Team, the Senior Director of Schools will partner with other Heads of Schools and the Chief of Schools to provide leadership and vision for Summit campuses across California’s Bay Area and Washington State and is accountable for sustaining and improving academic excellence and student achievement across Summit schools. S/he is responsible for developing, supporting and holding accountable school leaders to build world-class, personalized schools.
Who we are:
Summit’s mission is to ensure that every student has the opportunity to not only attend, but succeed in, a four-year college or university. Driven by our unwavering commitment to our core values, Summit works every day to ensure our students are receiving a world-class education. We seek phenomenal individuals with the talents needed to transform children's lives, as well as those who are interested in working on the cutting edge of education. If you're excited by the prospect of transformative growth for yourself, as well as the students, schools, and communities we serve, Summit may be the place for you!
Summit Public Schools is a leading charter management organization serving diverse communities in the San Francisco Bay Area and Washington State with currently eleven schools serving over 3,000 students.Summit schools have seen tremendous successes, including:
- 99 percent of Summit students have been accepted to one or more four-year colleges, and its graduates are completing college at double the national average
- Fast Company named Summit Public Schools a top 10 most innovative organization in education
- Our two flagship schools, Summit Prep and Everest, are named among US News & World Report's Best High Schools of 2015, and also ranked among America's Most Challenging High Schools by the Washington Post
- Summit Sierra, in Seattle, was named one of the most innovative schools in the world
Summit is proud to help teachers and students around the country benefit from personalized learning through the Summit Learning Program.Summit Learning is a free program that provides teachers and schools across the U.S. with the resources they need to bring Summit Learning into the classroom. In 2016-17, Summit Public Schools is working closely with more than 130 schools across the country, serving over 20,000 students.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Develop and Oversee School Leaders
- Develop and retain high performing school leaders
- Coach, support and manage a team of school leaders
- Implement frameworks and tools for evaluating school leaders
- Collaborate with school leader to establish accountability and performance measures for each school by setting clear goals for culture, achievement and talent and managing towards them; adapting as necessary
- Support school leaders in attracting, developing, and retaining their faculty
- Support schools to ensure full student enrollment each year
- Collaborate with the Chief of School and senior leaders across the organization to develop a robust pipeline for future leadership development
- Actively recruit top external leadership candidates
- Implement frameworks, tools and processes for selecting exceptional talent
Co-lead School Leader Professional Development
- Provide meaningful and high impact leadership development for school leaders across the organization and work with leaders across the adult learning team to codify educator learning for a wide audience
- Co-develop, implement, and assess the strategic vision and goals for the team of Summit school leaders
- Cultivate a culture of collaboration and accountability to ensure fidelity to Summit’s organization-wide, academic and operational model
- Identify and share best practices across sites
- Facilitate establishment of highly effective communities of practice among school leaders
Serve as a Strategic Partner
- Work with the Chief of Schools and senior directors across the organization to develop strategies for communication, goals and strategic plans
- Coordinate with the leaders of the strategic services and Research & Development teams to provide tools, services, and strategies for differentiated school-level support
- Model Summit’s core organizational values
Key Qualities and Skills:
- The fundamental belief that all children can succeed in college and life
- Deep commitment to continuous improvement
- A track record of success in leading school(s) to high levels of performance
- Ability to manage groups through fast-paced iterative design cycles
- Strong management skills, with the ability to motivate, inspire, develop and collaborate with a diverse group of leaders, teachers, staff members, and community members
- Expertise in instruction, curriculum, assessments, and data-driven decision making
- Ability to focus on outcomes and think broadly and precisely about how to adjust structures to meet desired outcomes
- Proven ability to build and manage relationships with diverse stakeholders, including teachers, school leaders, board members, parents, and students
- Ability to provide honest, actionable and timely feedback that results in improved performance
- Self starter who takes initiative to solve problems
- Strong analytic skills
- Outstanding communication skills
- Master’s degree in education, educational administration, or a related field (preferred)
- 4+ years of experience as a school administrator; 4+ years of teaching experience; Experience leading a high performing school and/or network of schools is preferred.
- Ability to travel to multiple school sites.
- Meet health clearance, and pass the reference, background/criminal checks, per education code.