Communications Manager, Summit Learning
Summit Public Schools is seeking a Communications Manager who will play an important role in telling the Summit Learning story. S/he will report to the Director of Communication for Summit Learning and support strategic communications, day-to-day media relations and PR efforts, crisis communications, and speaker training for Summit Learning.
This would be an ideal position for an individual aiming to apply their communication, project management, teamwork, and analytical skills to their passion for serving youth and education. We are looking for a self-starter who isn't afraid to take initiative and dive deeply into a new role. This position requires a team-oriented energetic professional who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, and with a strong willingness and desire to learn.
The Communications Manager’s primary responsibilities will include:
- Supporting the implementation of a comprehensive communications strategy designed to elevate the amazing work of the Summit Learning students, educators, parents, communities, and champions.
- Managing national and local media campaigns, including developing and writing press materials media briefs, talking points, pitches and other public relations items to raise the visibility of Summit Learning.
- Sourcing and writing stakeholder stories that tell the story of Summit Public Schools and Summit Learning.
- Engaging Summit Learning partners sharing their stories through social media, letters to the editor, op eds, blog posts and other appropriate media.
- Supporting executive communications when needed.
- Coordinating visits and other programming related to Summit Learning for media and other stakeholders.
- Building and supporting the capacity of Summit Learning schools to understand, and effectively respond to, media within their context and communities.
- Developing spokesperson training and other on-demand resources for Summit Learning.
- Fielding incoming media inquiries and respond to media requests.
- Providing project management for the organization’s communications calendar.
- Reporting and analyzing results of communications efforts for continuous improvement; develop monthly communications reports and updates.
- Managing the operational systems required to support and implement a high volume of outreach and engagement.
- Coordinating and managing vendor or contractor work, budget and timelines, ensuring timely completion of deliverables on-budget.
Required Skills & Experience:
- A true passion for our organization's mission to equip all students with the skills necessary to succeed in college, career, in life.
- 3-4 years relevant experience in a communications role. Experience in education or non-profits a plus
- Bachelor's Degree required.
- Excellent interpersonal, writing, communication and presentation skills.
- Exceptional project management and organizational skills with good attention to detail.
- Ability to analyze and assess quantitative and qualitative data and explain the assessment in written reports.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrates empathy and ability to apply understanding of an audience to deliver desired products and/or services.
- Demonstrates flexibility, tenacity, resourcefulness, humility, and a growth mindset.
About the External Engagement Team:
Summit Public Schools’ External Engagement team leads communications, marketing and external relations for Summit Learning. This team is responsible for raising awareness of, owning and driving the story around, and generating demand for Summit Learning, as well as shaping the national landscape to create the conditions that allow for more students to have a Summit Learning experience.
This team will play an integral role in our organization’s efforts to meet the demand for personalized learning, helping to nurture a favorable public image and ensuring communities across the country know about the opportunity.
Our team will highlight the most cutting-edge practices of personalized learning and showcase how and where it is working best across the country. We will also help interested teachers and public schools across the country, regardless of community or circumstance, to realize the personalized learning approach as accessible and attainable. And where we can, we intend to help network these schools with top colleges and universities, education policymakers and top employers to increase understanding as personalized learning spreads.