The Director of Professional Development oversees one of the various professional development programs that the Summit team plans and executes each year - programming for the Summit Public Schools faculty including onboarding, orientation and ongoing professional development during Expeditions. The Director designs the learning experience for their program and ensures there is effective coordination and collaboration with the Specialist team who focuses on on building developmental opportunities for specific audiences (teachers, school leaders, district administrators) and the Special Events team who manages the logistics of each program (including travel, lodging, food and registration). This is a leadership position for someone who is both passionate and skilled in designing learning experiences and coordinating a cross-functional team that is collectively responsible for training of over 2000 educators and support personnel each year.
Who we are:
- Summit Public Schools is a leading charter management organization serving diverse communities in the San Francisco Bay Area and Washington State with currently 11 schools serving over 3,000 students. Through the Summit Learning Program, we have partnered with over 100 public schools in twenty-seven states and the District of Columbia and are providing over 20,000 students a truly personalized learning experience.
- Summit’s mission is to ensure that every student has the opportunity to not only attend, but succeed in, a four-year college or university. Driven by our unwavering commitment to our core values, Summit works every day to ensure our students are receiving a world-class education. We seek phenomenal individuals with the talents needed to transform children's lives, as well as those who are interested in working on the cutting edge of education. If you're excited by the prospect of transformative growth for yourself, as well as the students, schools, and communities we serve, Summit may be the place for you!
- 99 percent of Summit students have been accepted to one or more four-year colleges, and its graduates are completing college at double the national average
- Fast Company named Summit Public Schools a top 10 most innovative organization in education
- Our two flagship schools, Summit Prep and Everest, are named among US News & World Report's Best High Schools of 2015, and also ranked among America's Most Challenging High Schools by the Washington Post
- Summit has a fully Common Core aligned curriculum and has worked with university, technology, and non-profit partners to continually improve. This curriculum is made available for free to our many Summit Learning partners across the nation and, soon, around the world. You can explore the curriculum here, using the demo code qwbhiscx.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Develop and Professional Development Curriculum and Programming
- Stay abreast of research and trends involving professional development and adult learning specifically as it relates to the education sector and teacher development.
- Deeply understand the developmental arcs of each of the audiences served by the program (Summer training, Regional convenings or Summit training)
- Analyze relevant data to revise and focus professional development programming and coordinate with the Info team
- Inspire and coordinate the cross-functional teams responsible for planning complex professional learning for diverse audiences across the country and sector.
- Train educators in implementing the Summit Learning Program in their classrooms, schools and districts
- Ensure completion, excellence, and accessibility of Summit’s professional development materials within and beyond Summit.
- Train facilitators in implementing professional development programming.
- Serve as a collaborative team member, moving forward with projects involving the research, creation, faculty training, and revision of a world-class training program.
- Represent Summit and the team compellingly in leadership capacity internally and externally.
Key Qualities and Skills:
- The fundamental belief that all children can succeed in college and life
- Deep commitment to continuous improvement
- A track record of success in leading team(s) to high levels of performance
- Ability to manage groups through fast-paced iterative design cycles
- Strong management skills, with the ability to motivate, inspire, develop and collaborate with a diverse group of leaders, teachers, staff members, and community members
- Expertise in instruction, curriculum, assessments, and data-driven decision making
- Ability to focus on outcomes and think broadly and precisely about how to adjust structures to meet desired outcomes
- Proven ability to build and manage relationships with diverse stakeholders, including teachers, school leaders, board members, parents, and students
- Ability to provide honest, actionable and timely feedback that results in improved performance
- Self starter who takes initiative to solve problems
- Strong analytic skills
- Outstanding communication skills
- Master’s degree in education, educational administration, or a related field (preferred)
- Experience leading cross-functional teams responsible for ongoing and one-time events
- Ability to travel to multiple training sites and schools across the country.
- Meet health clearance, and pass the reference, background/criminal checks, per education code.