Summit Public Schools is seeking to hire a Director of Summer Training, who will work closely with the Summit Learning Leadership team, Summit Public Schools and Facebook to support our partner schools in adopting and institutionalizing Summit Learning across the United States in districts and public charter schools.
The Director of Summer Training oversees one of the various professional development programs that the Summit team plans and executes each year, the Summer Trainings for partners in the Summit Learning Program. The Director designs the learning experience for their program and ensures there is effective coordination and collaboration with the Specialist team who focuses on on building developmental opportunities for specific audiences (teachers, school leaders, district administrators) and the Special Events team who manages the logistics of each program (including travel, lodging, food and registration).
Given that we are just two years into the program, we are looking for people who are flexible, action oriented and love to learn new skillsets by practicing them! The team also deeply believes in the power of collaboration because different perspectives and skillsets make us stronger.
The Director of Summer Training will collaborate extensively with the Senior Director of Professional Development, the Summit Learning Program team, the Chief of Schools and the Chief Program Officer. This is a leadership position for someone who is both passionate and skilled in designing learning experiences and coordinating a cross-functional team that is collectively responsible for training of over 2,000 educators and support personnel each year.
Who we are:
Summit’s mission is to ensure that every student has the opportunity to not only attend, but succeed in, a four-year college or university. Driven by our unwavering commitment to our core values, Summit works every day to ensure our students are receiving a world-class education. We seek phenomenal individuals with the talents needed to transform children's lives, as well as those who are interested in working on the cutting edge of education. If you're excited by the prospect of transformative growth for yourself, as well as the students, schools, and communities we serve, Summit may be the place for you!
Summit is sharing what we’ve learned through our own experience operating eleven schools that serve a diverse population of 3,000 students in California and Washington. Summit’s schools consistently rank among the best in the nation. 99% of graduating seniors at Summit are accepted into at least one four-year college, and our graduates are completing college at double the national average.
Summit is proud to help teachers and students around the country benefit from personalized learning through the Summit Learning Program.Summit Learning is a free program that provides teachers and schools across the U.S. with the resources they need to bring Summit Learning into the classroom. In 2016-17, Summit Public Schools is working closely with more than 130 schools across the country, serving over 20,000 students. Through Summit’s support and resources, and Facebook’s engineering expertise, this community of partner schools is exploring Summit Learning and is adapting it to meet the specific needs of their individual school communities. As part of Summit Learning, grade level teams are also using the Summit Learning Platform as the backbone to their student’s experience.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Director of Summer Training is responsible for developing professional development curriculum and programming and will:
- Stay abreast of research and trends involving professional development and adult learning specifically as it relates to the education sector and teacher development.
- Deeply understand the developmental arcs of each of the audiences served by the Summer training.
- Analyze relevant data to revise and focus professional development programming by coordinating with Summit’s Information Team.
- Inspire and coordinate the cross-functional teams responsible for planning complex professional learning for diverse audiences across the country and sector.
- Train educators in implementing the Summit Learning Program in their classrooms, schools and districts.
- Ensure completion, excellence, and accessibility of Summit’s professional development materials within and beyond Summit.
- Train facilitators in implementing professional development programming.
- Serve as a collaborative team member, moving forward with projects involving the research, creation, faculty training, and revision of a world-class training program.
- Represent Summit and the team compellingly in leadership capacity internally and externally.
Key Qualities and Skills:
Being action oriented, positive and flexible are key to building something new. We aim to embrace a growth mindset and can-do attitude about all of the unknowns and challenges schools across the country may run into when implementing Summit Learning.
As designers of development experiences for our educators, some of the skills and qualities we are looking for are below:
- The fundamental belief that all children can succeed in college and life
- Deep commitment to continuous improvement
- A track record of success in leading team(s) to high levels of performance
- Ability to manage groups through fast-paced iterative design cycles
- Strong management skills, with the ability to motivate, inspire, develop and collaborate with a diverse group of leaders, teachers, staff members, and community members
- Expertise in instruction, curriculum, assessments, and data-driven decision making
- Ability to focus on outcomes and think broadly and precisely about how to adjust structures to meet desired outcomes
- Proven ability to build and manage relationships with diverse stakeholders, including teachers, school leaders, board members, parents, and students
- Ability to provide honest, actionable and timely feedback that results in improved performance
- Self starter who takes initiative to solve problems
- Strong analytic skills
- Outstanding communication skills
- Master’s degree in education, educational administration, or a related field (preferred)
- Experience leading cross-functional teams responsible for ongoing and one-time events
- Ability to travel to multiple training sites and schools across the country.
- Meet health clearance, and pass the reference, background/criminal checks, per education code.