Summit Public Schools is seeking to hire a Specialist of Principal Professional Development, who will work closely with the Summit Learning Leadership team, Summit Public Schools and Facebook to support our partner schools in adopting and institutionalizing Summit Learning across the United States in districts and public charter schools.
The Specialist of Principal Professional Development leads the creation, continual improvement and facilitation of professional development materials used in summer trainings and recurring regional convenings for school leaders across the country who are partners in the Summit Learning Program.
We are seeking a dynamic leader with a passion for and expertise in how school leadership (in traditional public districts, public charter districts and private schools) engages with change management, manages curriculum design, supports teachers and site-based faculty in innovative programming and keeps track of data systems as part of program evaluation and expansion.
Given that we are just two years into the program, we are looking for people who are flexible, action oriented and love to learn new skillsets by practicing them! The team also deeply believes in the power of collaboration because different perspectives and skillsets make us stronger.
The Specialist of Principal Professional Development will collaborate extensively with the Senior Director of Professional Development, the Summit Learning Program team, the Chief of Schools and the Chief Program Officer. While this individual will need to have the credibility that comes with experience and the theoretical grounding to make strategic decisions impacting thousands of students across the country, the leadership skill we most desire is the ability to drive principled action aligned to a compelling vision of personalized learning.
Who we are:
Summit’s mission is to ensure that every student has the opportunity to not only attend, but succeed in, a four-year college or university. Driven by our unwavering commitment to our core values, Summit works every day to ensure our students are receiving a world-class education. We seek phenomenal individuals with the talents needed to transform children's lives, as well as those who are interested in working on the cutting edge of education. If you're excited by the prospect of transformative growth for yourself, as well as the students, schools, and communities we serve, Summit may be the place for you!
Summit is sharing what we’ve learned through our own experience operating eleven schools that serve a diverse population of 3,000 students in California and Washington. Summit’s schools consistently rank among the best in the nation. 99% of graduating seniors at Summit are accepted into at least one four-year college, and our graduates are completing college at double the national average.
Summit is proud to help teachers and students around the country benefit from personalized learning through the Summit Learning Program.Summit Learning is a free program that provides teachers and schools across the U.S. with the resources they need to bring Summit Learning into the classroom. In 2016-17, Summit Public Schools is working closely with more than 130 schools across the country, serving over 20,000 students. Through Summit’s support and resources, and Facebook’s engineering expertise, this community of partner schools is exploring Summit Learning and is adapting it to meet the specific needs of their individual school communities. As part of Summit Learning, grade level teams are also using the Summit Learning Platform as the backbone to their student’s experience.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Specialist of Principal Professional Development is responsible for developing professional development curriculum and programming. The role requires the individual to:
- Stay abreast of research and trends involving professional development and school leader & teacher training
- Deeply understand the developmental arcs of both novice and veteran school leaders who are building personalized learning environments to pinpoint requisite learning milestones
- Lead the design, development and continuous improvement of professional development programming for school leaders focused on all aspects of their roles including, but not limited to, curriculum and assessment, operations and compliance, and special populations.
- Train educators in implementing the Summit Learning Program in their classrooms
- Ensure completion, excellence, and accessibility of Summit’s professional development materials within and beyond Summit.
- Train facilitators in implementing professional development programming.
- Serve as a collaborative team member, moving forward with projects involving the research, creation, faculty training, and revision of a world-class training program.
- Represent Summit and the team compellingly in leadership capacity internally and externally.
Key Qualities and Skills:
Being action oriented, positive and flexible are key to building something new. We aim to embrace a growth mindset and can-do attitude about all of the unknowns and challenges schools across the country may run into when implementing Summit Learning.
As designers of development experiences for our educators, some of the skills and qualities we are looking for are below:
- The fundamental belief that all children can succeed in college and life
- Deep commitment to continuous improvement
- A track record of success in leading team(s) to high levels of performance
- Ability to manage groups through fast-paced iterative design cycles
- Strong management skills, with the ability to motivate, inspire, develop and collaborate with a diverse group of leaders, teachers, staff members, and community members
- Expertise in instruction, curriculum, assessments, and data-driven decision making
- Ability to focus on outcomes and think broadly and precisely about how to adjust structures to meet desired outcomes
- Proven ability to build and manage relationships with diverse stakeholders, including teachers, school leaders, board members, parents, and students
- Ability to provide honest, actionable and timely feedback that results in improved performance
- Self starter who takes initiative to solve problems
- Strong analytic skills
- Outstanding communication skills
- Master’s degree in education, educational administration, or a related field (preferred)
- 4+ years of school leadership experience; 4+ years of teaching experience; Experience leading a high performing school and/or network of schools is preferred.
- Ability to travel to multiple training sites and schools across the country.
- Meet health clearance, and pass the reference, background/criminal checks, per education code.