Summit Public Schools is seeking to hire a Specialist of District Leader Professional Development, who will work closely with the Summit Learning Leadership team, Summit Public Schools and Facebook to support our partner schools in adopting and institutionalizing Summit Learning across the United States in districts and public charter schools.
The Specialist of District Leader Professional Development leads the creation, continual improvement and facilitation of professional development materials used in summer trainings and recurring regional convenings for School District leadership (including Superintendents, CAOs, and instructional and curriculum leaders) across the country who are partners in the Summit Learning Program.
We are seeking an experienced district leader with a passion for and expertise in how school districts (traditional public, public charter and private) engaging with change management, manage curriculum design, support schools leaders in innovative programming and keep track of data systems as part of program evaluation and expansion.
Given that we are just two years into the program, we are looking for people who are flexible, action oriented and love to learn new skillsets by practicing them! The team also deeply believes in the power of collaboration because different perspectives and skillsets make us stronger.
The Specialist of District Leader Professional Development will collaborate extensively with the Senior Director of Professional Development, the Summit Learning Program team, the Chief of Schools and the Chief Program Officer. While this individual will need to have the credibility that comes with experience and the theoretical grounding to make strategic decisions impacting thousands of students across the country, the leadership skill we most desire is the ability to drive principled action aligned to a compelling vision of personalized learning.
Who we are:
Summit’s mission is to ensure that every student has the opportunity to not only attend, but succeed in, a four-year college or university. Driven by our unwavering commitment to our core values, Summit works every day to ensure our students are receiving a world-class education. We seek phenomenal individuals with the talents needed to transform children's lives, as well as those who are interested in working on the cutting edge of education. If you're excited by the prospect of transformative growth for yourself, as well as the students, schools, and communities we serve, Summit may be the place for you!
Summit is sharing what we’ve learned through our own experience operating eleven schools that serve a diverse population of 3,000 students in California and Washington. Summit’s schools consistently rank among the best in the nation. 99% of graduating seniors at Summit are accepted into at least one four-year college, and our graduates are completing college at double the national average.
Summit is proud to help teachers and students around the country benefit from personalized learning through the Summit Learning Program.Summit Learning is a free program that provides teachers and schools across the U.S. with the resources they need to bring Summit Learning into the classroom. In 2016-17, Summit Public Schools is working closely with more than 130 schools across the country, serving over 20,000 students. Through Summit’s support and resources, and Facebook’s engineering expertise, this community of partner schools is exploring Summit Learning and is adapting it to meet the specific needs of their individual school communities. As part of Summit Learning, grade level teams are also using the Summit Learning Platform as the backbone to their student’s experience.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Specialist of District Leader Professional Development is responsible for developing professional development curriculum and programming, including:
- Stay abreast of research and trends involving professional development and school district management.
- Deeply understand the developmental arcs of district administrators leading change management initiatives related to bringing Summit Learning into their schools to pinpoint requisite learning milestones
- Lead the design, development and continuous improvement of professional development programming for School District leadership focused on all aspects of district management including, but not limited to, curriculum and assessment, operations and compliance, special populations.
- Train educators, administrators and district leadership in implementing the Summit Learning Program across all areas of district and school management.
- Ensure completion, excellence, and accessibility of Summit’s professional development materials within and beyond Summit.
- Train facilitators in implementing professional development programming.
- Serve as a collaborative team member, moving forward with projects involving the research, creation, faculty training, and revision of a world-class training program.
- Represent Summit and the team compellingly in leadership capacity internally and externally.
Key Qualities and Skills:
Being action oriented, positive and flexible are key to building something new. We aim to embrace a growth mindset and can-do attitude about all of the unknowns and challenges schools across the country may run into when implementing Summit Learning.
As designers of development experiences for our educators, some of the skills and qualities we are looking for are below:
- Data analysis: Plans to collect, evaluate, and act upon important information
- Strategic planning: Creates a strategic plan, with the support of the team
- Progress monitoring: Continually tracks progress of programs and implementation to inform leadership actions
- Strategic communication: Proactively communicates with all stakeholders
- Planning learning experiences: Models skills-based, personalized instruction
- Providing honest, actionable, and timely feedback: Seeks feedback to improve practice, incorporates feedback to develop, and offers feedback that pushes others towards excellence
- Learning orientation: Driven to improve performance in order to meet high internal standards of excellence
- Initiative: Ready to act and seize opportunities; drives personal growth and takes ownership over work
- Resiliency: Identifies and pursues solutions when faced with setbacks; stays focused on objectives though tactics may require adaptation
- Meet health clearance, and pass the reference, background/criminal checks, per education code.
- Experience in School District administration is preferred
- Master’s degree in education, teaching, learning design, and/or curriculum.
- Project management experience strongly preferred.
- Ability to travel to various school and organization sites in the San Francisco Bay area, Seattle-Tacoma region and to Summit Learning Program schools across the country.