Position Title: Accountant
Position Overview: The Accountant is responsible for the processing of A/P, A/R, and Bank Reconciliation as well as monthly close procedures, ad hoc reports, and reconciliation of various other accounting systems. As a member of the finance team, the Accountant helps ensure that the organization is supportive of the school functions and fiscally sound.
Who we are:
Summit Public Schools is a leading charter management organization serving diverse communities in the San Francisco Bay Area and Washington State with currently 11 schools serving over 2,400 students. Summit’s mission is to ensure that every student has the opportunity to not only attend, but succeed in, a four-year college or university. Driven by our unwavering commitment to our core values, Summit works every day to ensure our students are receiving a world-class education. We seek phenomenal individuals with the talents needed to transform children's lives, as well as those who are interested in working on the cutting edge of education. If you're excited by the prospect of transformative growth for yourself, as well as the students, schools, and communities we serve, Summit may be the place for you!
- 99 percent of Summit students have been accepted to one or more four-year colleges, and its graduates are completing college at double the national average
- Fast Company named Summit Public Schools a top 10 most innovative organization in education
- Our two flagship schools, Summit Prep and Everest, are named among US News & World Report's Best High Schools of 2015, and also ranked among America's Most Challenging High Schools by the Washington Post
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Process accounts payable. Maintain vendor files and correspondence with vendors by phone or email. Review contracts, orders and invoices for accuracy based on established policies and procedures
- Perform month-end close duties including reconciling of GL accounts and payroll/bonus journal entries.
- Collaborate with payroll specialist in monthly payroll processes.
- Prepare deposits of cash and checks for each entity, ensure correct coding in GL. Deposit cash in bank on as-needed basis.
- Complete Bank Reconciliation for SPS monthly, to be reviewed by Controller.
- Collect all contracts and supporting paperwork including W9s and insurance certificates.
- Prepare, mail and report all 1099 information and Sales/Use Tax Filing on a yearly basis.
- Office manager duties of Finance group including filing, ordering of office supplies.
- Ensure adequacy of documentation of accounting transactions, using procedures defined by internal & external stakeholders
- Assist in development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department. Monitors and analyzes department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy
- Apply the financial policies and procedures of the company. Bring inconsistencies and problems to the attention of management
- Assist Controller with annual audit. Ensure backup support documents are well organized and maintained in a safe and secure environment.
- Create specialized reports as requested for clubs/study trips/etc. Support budget and forecasting activities as needed.
- Aid charter school with collection of property tax funds owed, includes: invoicing school districts, verifying and sending address verification packets to districts, tracking of funds owed and follow up, aiding school staff with strategies to collect address verification documents.
- Monthly reconciliation of organizations American Express, Amazon, and MySchoolBucks accounts.
Key Qualities and Skills:
- Good team player
- Works independently without much instruction
- Can-do attitude around meeting deadlines and high-volume periods.
- Audit support experience
- Meet health clearance, and pass the reference, background/criminal checks, per education code.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting preferred
- 2 or more years of Accounting or Bookkeeping, non-profit accounting experience preferred