We are hiring full-time tutors to join our team from November 28th through June 9th at Summit Rainier in San Jose, CA. This is a great opportunity to start your career in education. Successful tutors have priority access to Summit's founding cohort of credentialing students for the 2017-2018 school year. This will be a unique opportunity to obtain a California teaching credential while receiving a full-time salary with benefits.
The Summit Tutoring Corps, an Americorps program, is a one year urban education fellowship at a Summit campus. Summit Corps members focus on supporting groups of students with learning content, improving literacy and math skills, and building the strong study skills and habits needed to be successful in high school and college. Summit Corps members build strong relationships with the students and with their families.
Summit's program is based on the Match Corps program, which has a longstanding record of tutors impacting the academic success of struggling students. In addition to tutoring, Summit Corps members also have the opportunity to work alongside school leaders and teachers as teaching assistants or administrative assistants, which provides them with opportunities to learn more about urban education and explore different careers within the sector.
Summit Corps members will benefit from the intensive professional development in place at Summit Public Schools. Summit Corps members will participate in 8 weeks of dedicated professional development over the course of the school year, in addition to the professional development provided before the start of the school year. Further, Summit Corps members will receive weekly training and coaching, as well as mentoring from colleagues on site.
Another aspect Summit Corps members enjoy in their service year is the sense of community at the school. Being a tutor at Summit is difficult, and a large part of what makes the experience worthwhile is being surrounded and supported by people who share the same commitment to education. We anticipate that Summit Corps members will develop close bonds with each other and with their school faculties.
Who we are:
Summit Public Schools is a leading charter management organization serving diverse communities in the Bay Area and Washington state. Our network operates nine schools serving almost 2,000 students. At Summit, we are expanding a model of schools that puts students in the driver's seat, equipping them with the powerful and enduring skills necessary for success in the 21st century workforce. We believe all students deserve schools that are designed to prepare them for the demands of our diverse, connected and ever-changing world. We are working hard to make education student-centered and engaging and we're seeking great educators to join our growing team.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Tutor will have the following responsibilities:
- Plan, execute, and reflect on Personalized Learning Time.
- Plan, execute, and reflect on Summit Reads or Solves.
- Monitor student progress on content assessments.
- Communicate progress weekly to families, grade level teachers, and mentors.
- Provide extra support to students before and/or after school in Office Hours according to site schedule.
- Observe/co-teach with other teachers.
- Collaborate with other tutors and teachers across the network and full faculty as a member of the site leadership team.
- Engage in regular professional development with other tutors, including job-embedded performance tasks.
- Work with an instructional coach to develop instructional skills and apply new practices to meet the needs of your students.
- Adhere to all Americorps requirements.
- $10,909 living stipend
- $5,730 AmeriCorps Education Award upon successful completion of service term
- Student loan forbearance (on qualifying loans)