Director of Pandemic Operations and Strategy (Temporary)
The Director of Pandemic Operations and Strategy (DPOS) is a seasoned systems leader that will manage Summit Public Schools’ ongoing response to the global COVID-19 pandemic so that we can protect student and faculty health and safety and keep schools open for in person learning.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the DPOS is a skilled leader, capacity builder, and communicator who is outcomes-oriented, deeply understands what we do and our values, and deftly engages a vast array of internal and external stakeholders to collaborate, influence, generate buy-in and support, and move pandemic-related work forward. The DPOS is adaptable, thrives in contexts with evolving information and guidelines, and demonstrates agility navigating ambiguity.
The DPOS will collaborate with senior leaders to design, develop, and optimize the systems, policies, protocols, and initiatives that prioritize the health and safety of our students and faculty. The DPOS will build capacity through planning, managing, and executing cross-functional special projects (i.e. bringing mobile vaccination clinics to schools), facilitating effective meetings and trainings, and ensuring effective and efficient communication across the organization.
As a member of the Strategic Services team, the DPOS serves as a strategy partner to school site leadership teams and indirectly manages and supports the implementation of COVID-related processes, such as COVID huddles, screening testing, reporting, and contact tracing.
Who We Are:
What if all students graduated high school with the knowledge, skills and habits they need to lead a fulfilled life? This is the question that guides our mission at Summit Public Schools.
Summit is a leading network of public schools that prepare a diverse student population for success in a four-year college and to be thoughtful, contributing members of society. We operate 14 schools serving over 4,500 students in the Bay Area and Washington state. 100% of Summit graduates are college ready and Summit graduates complete college at double the national average.
We need exceptional, diverse, and mission-aligned teachers and leaders to join our team to help prepare our students for a fulfilled life. Join us.
What You’ll Do:
- Serve as a strategy partner with Executive Directors, Deans of Operations, Team Leads, and C-Team members to tackle COVID-specific responsibilities
- Draft and coordinate strategic communications to internal and external stakeholders
- Liaise with public health and education agencies
- Monitor changes to county, state, and federal COVID guidelines, and manage compliance and communication of changes for both the Home Office and School Sites
- Manage and maintain Summit’s COVID-19 Technical Manual and related COVID-19 documents
- Support and manage contact tracing efforts across schools and offices
- Provide direct support to school leadership teams and HR through facilitation of COVID “huddles” as needed. (During a typical COVID Huddle, Deans of Operations present case investigation details, propose next steps and communications based on a decision tree, coordinate with HR for timely and transparent communication with staff, and obtain final sign-off from the DPOS or Regional Director of Operations.)
- Plan, manage, and coordinate screening testing efforts across schools
- Plan, manage, and execute cross-functional, special projects related to pandemic response
- Progress monitor HR and school site case closure and reporting positive cases to Departments of Health and other partners in compliance with SB1159 through the maintenance of network-wide dashboard
- Collaborate with Finance to manage effective and efficient usage of grants and funds related to pandemic response
- Collect and analyze data, identify trends, and develop continuous improvement strategies in COVID response
- Act as the resident organizational “expert” on all things COVID
- Plan and facilitate effective meetings and trainings related to pandemic initiatives and programs
- Support the COO with strategy and capacity building across the organization’s operations
- Work either in-person or remotely
What You Need:
Key Qualities and Skills
- 5+ years in K-12 public education; school operations experience highly preferred
- Experience leading a high performing school and/or network-wide program preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Experience with Google Platforms, including Google Drive, Google Sheets, Google Docs, and Google Slides preferred
- Clear TB test and background check
Who You Are:
- Deep knowledge of Summit’s instructional model
- Deep understanding of Summit’s design and values
- The ability to understand and navigate regulations and requirements and find a way to retain our model and values while complying.
- The ability to lead with influence and vision to complete work that often invokes fear.
- The ability to plan and facilitate very effective meetings, and bring projects to successful completion, on time
- Strong attention to detail, and precision and accuracy
- Strong bias toward systems and processes. Abhors inefficiency; always seeking to streamline, automate and/or eliminate; has eye for scalability and sustainability
- Strong time and project management skills. Can lead projects start to end; is self-directed; demonstrates flexibility and adaptability; can prioritize based on importance/urgency; can convene and lead cross functional teams to complete specific projects on defined timelines
- Strong relationship building skills. Can effectively communicate verbally and in writing with diverse stakeholders including school leaders, operations staff and home office team colleagues; shows empathy; demonstrates influence; is veritable team player; can give and receive honest, actionable and timely feedback
- Strong analytical skills and ability to analyze risk. Enjoys problem-solving; uses data to drive decision-making; is obsessed with details; sweats the small stuff
What you get:
In addition to joining a highly motivated team and engaging in meaningful work, you’ll have access to a comprehensive suite of benefits including a retirement plan, unlimited “take what you need” PTO policy, 11 paid holidays, and 3 weeks of organization-wide closures during the year. You and your dependents will have access to multiple health, dental, and vision plans at 25% cost (we cover the other 75%) and employee life and disability insurance at no cost. Our compensation policy strives to be equitable and transparent.
Summit is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly intertwined with education. We are ALL better when we are able to bring our whole selves to work and honor each other’s voices across identities, cultural backgrounds, and life experiences. We welcome and encourage applications from individuals who are members of historically marginalized communities. Spanish language proficiency is a plus.