Summit Public Schools is seeking a School Nurse-RN who will play an important role to ensure a safe and healthy learning environment for our students. The School Nurse implements, manages, and in some cases, delivers school health services at our three Washington schools. The scope of practice is defined by law and regulation and professional school nursing standards.
The school nurse reports to the Director of Regional Operations, who partners with the nurse and School Leaders to oversee operations at Summit Olympus, Summit Sierra and Summit Atlas.
This is a part-time, contractor role for the 2021-2022 school year. Hours are expected to be 8-12 hours per week. Travel is required between our schools, which are located in Seattle, West Seattle and Tacoma. Hours and travel will vary over the course of the year and be based on need.
Who We Are:
What if all students graduated high school with the knowledge, skills and habits they need to lead a fulfilled life? This is the question that guides our mission at Summit Public Schools.
Summit is a leading network of public schools that prepare a diverse student population for success in a four-year college and to be thoughtful, contributing members of society. We operate 14 schools serving over 4,500 students in the Bay Area and Washington state. 100% of Summit graduates are college ready and Summit graduates complete college at double the national average.
We need exceptional, diverse, and mission-aligned teachers to join our team to help prepare our students for a fulfilled life. Join us!
What You’ll Do
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Assesses and provides for the critical needs of the students in each school, i.e., emergency plans for students with life-threatening medical conditions, medically fragile students, students with health concerns and/or requiring nursing treatments, medication and administration.
- Provides consultant services to school personnel regarding health issues, e.g., communicable disease control.
- Assesses the physical and emotional health of students as related to the educational process and within the scope of school nurse practice; initiates referrals for further diagnosis & treatment of identified health needs and provides follow-up; communicates health concerns that may impact learning to appropriate staff with parent and/or student consent.
- Coordinates and implements health screenings mandated by law, including referral and follow-up.
- Performs professional nursing tasks as indicated and assigned, including emergency services when on site.
- Serves as a resource for health education to classroom teacher as time allows.
- Cooperates with administrators and other staff to identify school safety and environmental health needs.
- Participates in appropriate data collection as related to health care services.
Who You Are
Key Qualities and Skills:
- Committed to serving schools. Is interested in working with children and families, and dedicated to ensuring safe and healthy learning environment where our students can thrive.
- Knowledgeable about child health and development. Able to interpret students’ health needs to families and staff.
- Strong judgment and decision-making. Exemplifies good personal health practices and mental health attitudes
- Extremely responsible. Is dependable, is punctual, meets deadlines; able to help schools meet state compliance requirements.
- High flexibility. Able to support schools with different students’ health needs and adapt to meet needs of schools as they change
- Team player. Collaborates with school-site teams and home office faculty; can communicate clearly and effectively in writing and in person
What You Need
- Washington State registered nurse (RN) license required
- CPR/first aid certification required
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing from an accredited college or university preferred
- School nurse experience in public or private schools preferred
- Experience with Gmail and Google Docs preferred
- Travel to different schools in Seattle, West Seattle and Tacoma
- Meet health clearance, and pass the reference, background/criminal checks, per education code.
What You Get
Summit offers competitive salaries and benefit options for full-time employees, including covering 75% of the health, dental and vision plan costs. We fully cover life and disability insurance. We have a “take what you need” PTO policy, 11 paid holidays and 3 weeks of organizational-wide closure during the year.
Summit is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly intertwined with education. We are ALL better when we are able to bring our whole selves to work and honor each other’s voices across identities, cultural backgrounds, and life experiences. We welcome and encourage applications from individuals who are members of historically marginalized communities. Spanish language proficiency is a plus.
To see Summit Public Schools' full non-discrimination statement as it relates to students and parents along with designated compliance coordinators for each school, see HERE for Washington and HERE for California. To see Summit Public Schools' full non-discrimination statement as it relates to employees, see HERE for Washington and HERE for California.