Director of Analytics
Summit Public Schools is seeking a Director of Analytics to transform data into insights for the organization. This role will lead the Summit Analytics team to build tools and conduct analyses that facilitate data-driven decisions by teachers, school leaders, and network leaders. Strong candidates will have experience managing teams, collaborating deeply with stakeholders, and using user-centered design principles to create useful, usable data products.
Who We Are:
What if all students graduated high school with the knowledge, skills and habits they need to lead a fulfilled life? This is the question that guides our mission at Summit Public Schools.
Summit is a leading network of public schools that prepare a diverse student population for success in a four-year college and to be thoughtful, contributing members of society. We operate 14 schools serving over 4,500 students in the Bay Area and Washington state. 100% of Summit graduates are college ready and Summit graduates complete college at double the national average.
We need exceptional, diverse, and mission-aligned teachers to join our team to help prepare our students for a fulfilled life. Join us!
What You’ll Do:
- Lead a small but mighty team of analysts
- Collaborate with the Chief Information Officer and other Summit leaders to identify research questions and problems that can be solved with data-focused tools
- Build and manage collaboration structures between Analytics and other teams across the network to ensure high-quality, high-value work
Research and Analysis
- Develop research questions and testable hypotheses to assess the impact of interventions and find ways to improve them, taking input from stakeholders
- Listen to stakeholders to identify future data needs and create structures to make sure those needs are consistently met
- Lead research project planning by aligning scope with team- or org-wide goals
Communication and Collaboration
- Design and produce user-friendly, reliable visualizations, bringing in new tools to maximize effectiveness and efficiency as needed
- Communicate clearly actionable findings and their implications to a variety of audiences in a way that resonates
- Produce findings that have a clear and significant impact on important decisions for a variety of stakeholders
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to proactively to push projects towards their goals
What You Need:
Key Qualities and Skills
- Commitment to uphold Summit’s values, belief that all children deserve a rigorous and equitable education that prepares them for college and for life.
- Professional experience in quantitative data management, analysis, interpretation, and presentation
- Experience managing a productive, efficient team
- Experience with SQL, Python, Tableau or other related technologies and a desire to learn more and teach others
- Demonstrated ability to craft clear research questions and testable hypotheses
- Empathy for the users of data and strength in listening and communication
- Strong project management skills and a knack for process
- A strong desire to use data to help people make smart decisions, and experience doing so
- Proficiency in Google Platforms, including Google Drive, Google Sheets, Google Docs, and Google Slides.
- Bachelor's degree or higher preferred, but not required. Those who lack a college degree but have relevant training or professional experience are encouraged to apply.
- Pre-employment health and background check.
Who You Are:
- You maintain high expectations for all students and believe all students can find success in school, college, and life.
- You thrive while collaborating and are excited to work with your colleagues. You find positivity in share successes.
- You’re deeply dedicated to social justice and feel motivated by the challenge and impact of working in a heterogenous community and closing the achievement gap.
- You share our vision to reimagine what schools should be and are excited to make an impact on the public education landscape.
- You are positive and resilient in the face of big challenge.
- You take initiative and ownership in driving your work to meet personal and team goals.
- You have an ability to give and apply honest, actionable, and timely feedback that results in improved performance.
- You are empathetic and culturally competent. You’re open to having hard conversations.
- You thrive in innovative environments, and are comfortable with the ambiguity that can come with a dynamic and progressive workplace.
- You’re committed to continuous improvement, see feedback as a positive, and have a growth mindset.
What you get:
Summit offers competitive salaries and benefit options for full-time employees, including covering 75% of the health, dental and vision plan costs. We fully cover life and disability insurance. We have a “take what you need” PTO policy, 11 paid holidays and 3 weeks of organizational-wide closure during the year.
Summit is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly intertwined with education. We are ALL better when we are able to bring our whole selves to work and honor each other’s voices across identities, cultural backgrounds, and life experiences. We welcome and encourage applications from individuals who are members of historically marginalized communities. Spanish language proficiency is a plus.