Grant Budget Manager
The Grant Budget Manager will support Summit’s development work by planning and implementing grant programs, preparing budgets, researching funding opportunities, monitoring expenditure, tracking results, and analyzing financial data. Additionally, this person will report to and support the Director of Development with all fundraising-related work. This position will also engage with the finance team regarding grant journal entries, revenue recognition, and indirect cost calculations.
The ideal candidate for this role should have great organizational, budgeting, accounting, and monitoring skills. The outstanding Grant Budget Manager candidate should reinforce relationships with donors, ensure that grant programs operate efficiently, streamline grant administration, and financially manage the grants to stay in good standing with funders.
Who We Are:
What if all students graduated high school with the knowledge, skills, and habits they need to lead a fulfilled life? This is the question that guides our mission at Summit Public Schools.
Summit is a leading network of public schools that prepare a diverse student population for success in a four-year college and to be thoughtful, contributing members of society. We operate 14 schools serving over 4,500 students in the Bay Area and Washington state. 100% of Summit graduates are college-ready and Summit graduates complete college at double the national average.
We need exceptional, diverse, and mission-aligned people to join our team to help prepare our students for a fulfilled life. Join us!
What You’ll Do:
Summary of Responsibilities:
At the direction of the Director of Development, in coordination with the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and Controller:
- Budget Development & Grant Reporting
- Develop comprehensive budgets for grant applications including staffing costs, additional expenditures, and indirect costs.
- Provide awarded grant program information to CFO for inclusion into the all-organization budget.
- Develop and maintain communication systems to track inputs from grant Project Leads regarding budget management and expenditure reporting.
- Develop and produce monthly team lead grant budget vs actuals and review for accuracy.
- Prepare and monitor grant budgets and periodic grant financial reports. Develop and maintain personnel tracking for grant allocations to ensure fidelity to private grants.
- Support Summit’s fundraising initiatives by identifying and analyzing prospective donors who are aligned with Summit’s mission.
- Assist with grant writing and research.
- Accounting and Finance Duties
- Prepare monthly journal entries to track personnel and payroll expenditures for each grant.
- Provide revenue recognition analysis to the Controller for annual audits.
- Manage Summit’s grant efforts by preparing progress reports, ensuring compliance with grant regulations, developing and reviewing grant proposals, managing grant databases, engaging with donor agencies, and educating staff on policies.
- Organizational Responsibility
- Report to the Director of Development and Finance Controller/Chief Financial Officer on grant-related activities.
- Serve as a liaison between the Development Team and the Finance Team.
- Support the Director of Development with other fund-raising-related work.
- Represent Summit and the Development team to internal and external stakeholders.
- Perform other related duties and projects as assigned.
What You Need:
Key Qualities and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- 1-3 years prior work experience in a fast-paced, innovative environment is strongly preferred.
- Prior experience in accounting and financial reporting under FASB standards.
- Prior experience in public or private grant budget management and reporting.
- Commitment to uphold Summit’s values, belief that all children deserve a rigorous and equitable education that prepares them for college and for life.
- Prior experience in development is strongly preferred.
- Proficiency in Google Platforms, including Google Drive, Google Sheets, Google Docs, and Google Slides.
- Familiarity with Netsuite accounting software is strongly preferred.
- Clear health and background check.
Who You Are:
- Accuracy and attention to detail are demonstrated in your career portfolio
- You maintain high expectations for all students and believe all students can find success in school, college, and life.
- You thrive while collaborating and are excited to work with your colleagues. You find positivity in shared successes.
- You’re deeply dedicated to social justice and feel motivated by the challenge and impact of working in a heterogeneous community and closing the achievement gap.
- You share our vision to reimagine what schools should be and are excited to make an impact on the public education landscape.
- You are eager to learn and passionate about becoming involved in the educational innovation and fundraising space.
- You are data-driven and have the ability to collect, evaluate, and utilize data in meaningful ways.
- You have expertise working on complex and dynamic projects across functions and teams.
- You are positive and resilient in the face of big challenges.
- You take initiative and ownership in driving your work to meet personal and team goals.
- You have the ability to build strong relationship skills.
- You have an ability to apply and accept honest, actionable, and timely feedback that results in improved performance.
- You are empathetic and culturally competent. You’re open to having hard conversations.
- You thrive in innovative environments and are comfortable with the ambiguity that can come with a dynamic and progressive workplace.
- You’re committed to continuous improvement, see feedback as a positive, and have a growth mindset.
What you get:
Summit offers competitive salaries and benefit options for full-time employees, including covering 75% of the health, dental and vision plan costs. We fully cover life and disability insurance. We have a “take what you need” PTO policy, 11 paid holidays and 3 weeks of organizational-wide closure during the year.
Summit is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly intertwined with education. We are ALL better when we are able to bring our whole selves to work and honor each other’s voices across identities, cultural backgrounds, and life experiences. We welcome and encourage applications from individuals who are members of historically marginalized communities. Spanish language proficiency is a plus.