The Dean of Culture and Instruction works to develop faculty in implementing Summit Learning in their classroom teaching, supports with induction and intervenes, maintains, and executes student discipline on campus. The Dean will also implement programs and initiatives on campus to build and positively impact a strong anti-bias anti-racist school culture through relationship building and effective restorative practices. The Dean should possess strong relationship skills, have the ability to develop efficient progress monitoring systems, and display strong organization and management skills.
Candidates must be strong instructional leaders and be able to quickly internalize the expectations of the Summit classroom and coach developing teachers to meet those expectations. Candidates must deeply value collaboration and be willing to both offer and receive honest, actionable, and timely feedback.
Who We Are
What if all students graduated high school with the knowledge, skills and habits they need to lead a fulfilled life? This is the question that guides our mission at Summit Public Schools.
Summit is a leading network of public schools that prepare a diverse student population for success in a four-year college and to be thoughtful, contributing members of society. We operate 14 schools serving over 4,500 students in the Bay Area and Washington state. 100% of Summit graduates are college ready and Summit graduates complete college at double the national average.
We need exceptional, diverse, and mission-aligned teachers to join our team to help prepare our students for a fulfilled life. Join us!
What You’ll Do:
A Summit Public Schools Dean of Culture & Instruction will have the following responsibilities:
Coach beginning teachers through Summit’s Induction program
- Hold weekly coaching sessions and regular observations of coachees.
- Support coachees with clear feedback and actionable next steps.
- Coordinate with Summit’s strategic partners
- Design, build and facilitate professional development experiences for the School faculty.
- Communicate faculty progress with the school leadership.
- Assume various campus support and leadership roles as needed.
Leading anti-bias and anti-racist school culture projects and programs
- Developing high functioning faculty and teams
- Initiating, tracking, and completing restorative processes.
- Defining clear metrics of success for student culture.
- Collaborating with a team to prioritize needs and develop action plans for students who need proactive behavior support.
- Monitoring these metrics and adapting support, implementation, and program based on identified needs.
- Creating systematic, proactive supports for those implementing projects/programs, including formal professional development materials and experiences when appropriate.
- Following through with action plans.
Oversee school discipline
- Responding to classroom referrals in a timely way.
- Holding restorative student intervention sessions.
- Holding restorative family intervention meetings.
- Communicating discipline cases and outcomes with stakeholders.
- Holding students accountable to disciplinary consequences and next steps.
- Collecting and tracking discipline data to identify students of concern.
- Collaborating with the school leaders and network strategic partners in cases of escalated disciplinary infractions.
What you need:
- Commitment to uphold Summit’s values, belief that all children deserve a rigorous and equitable education that prepares them for college and for life
- Bachelor’s Degree (a Master’s Degree in Education and/or participation in the Leadership Fellows program is preferred but not required)
- Teaching Credential in California (Clear), Washington, or another US State
- Teaching experience within a Summit school or extensive teaching experience elsewhere required.
- Clear health and background check
Who you are:
- You maintain high expectations for all students and believe all students can find success in school, college, and life.
- You thrive while collaborating and are excited to work with your colleagues. You find positivity in share successes.
- You share our vision to reimagine what schools should be and are excited to make an impact on the public education landscape.
- You are data driven and have the ability to collect, evaluate, and utilize data in meaningful ways.
- You have expertise in planning learning experiences that model skills-based, personalized instruction.
- You are positive and resilient in the face of big challenges.
- You take initiative and ownership in driving your work to meet personal and team goals.
- You possess strong people management and relationship skills, with the ability to motivate, inspire, develop, and communicate with a diverse group of teachers, leaders, staff members, and community members.
- You have an ability to apply honest, actionable, and timely feedback that results in improved performance.
- You have a strategic mindset when it comes to executing professional development initiatives.
- You are empathetic and culturally competent. You’re open to having hard conversations.
- You thrive in innovative environments, and are comfortable with the ambiguity that can come with a dynamic and progressive workplace.
- You’re committed to continuous improvement, see feedback as a positive, and have a growth mindset.
What You Get:
Summit offers competitive salaries and benefit options for full-time employees, including covering 75% of the health, dental and vision plan costs. We fully cover life and disability insurance. We have a “take what you need” PTO policy, 11 paid holidays and 3 weeks of organizational-wide closure during the year.
Summit is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly intertwined with education. We are ALL better when we are able to bring our whole selves to work and honor each other’s voices across identities, cultural backgrounds, and life experiences. We welcome and encourage applications from individuals who are members of historically marginalized communities. Spanish language proficiency is a plus.