The Accountant is responsible for the processing of A/P, A/R, and Bank Reconciliation as well as monthly close procedures, ad hoc reports, and reconciliation of various other accounting systems. As a member of the finance team, the Accountant helps ensure that the organization is supportive of the school functions and fiscally sound.
Who We Are:
What if all students graduated high school with not only content knowledge, but the habits and skills to successfully navigate college and career, with a sense of purpose to anchor them? This is the question at the core of Summit Public Schools. Summit is a leading charter management organization serving heterogeneous communities in the Bay Area and Washington state. We operate 14 schools serving over 4,000 students.
Are you looking for the opportunity to lead change? Do you want to help reimagine what schools should be? We put students in the driver’s seat, empowering students with the skills and habits they need to be successful in college and life.
We need diverse, driven, and dynamic people to join our growing team to help realize our educational vision.
What you’ll do:
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Process accounts payable. Maintain vendor files and correspondence with vendors by phone or email. Review contracts, orders and invoices for accuracy based on established policies and procedures
- Perform month-end close duties including reconciling of GL accounts and payroll journal entries.
- Collaborate with payroll specialist in monthly payroll processes.
- Prepare deposits of cash and checks for each entity, ensure correct coding in GL. Deposit cash in bank on as-needed basis.
- Collect all contracts and supporting paperwork including W9s and insurance certificates.
- Prepare, mail and report all 1099 information and Sales/Use Tax Filing on a yearly basis.
- Office manager duties of Finance group including filing, ordering of office supplies.
- Ensure adequacy of documentation of accounting transactions, using procedures defined by internal & external stakeholders
- Assist in development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department. Monitors and analyzes department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy
- Apply the financial policies and procedures of the company. Bring inconsistencies and problems to the attention of management
- Assist Controller with annual audit. Ensure backup support documents are well organized and maintained in a safe and secure environment.
- Create specialized reports as requested for clubs/study trips/etc. Support budget and forecasting activities as needed.
- Aid charter school with collection of property tax funds owed, includes: invoicing school districts, verifying and sending address verification packets to districts, tracking of funds owed and follow up, aiding school staff with strategies to collect address verification documents.
- Monthly reconciliation of organizations American Express, Amazon, and MySchoolBucks accounts.
Who you are:
Key Qualities and Skills:
- Good team player
- Works independently without much instruction
- Can-do attitude around meeting deadlines and high-volume periods.
- Audit support experience
What you need:
- Meet health clearance, and pass the reference, background/criminal checks, per education code.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting preferred
- 2 or more years of Accounting or Bookkeeping, non-profit accounting experience preferred
What you get:
Summit offers competitive salaries and benefit options for full-time employees, including covering 75% of the health, dental and vision plan costs. We fully cover life and disability insurance. We have a “take what you need” PTO policy, 11 paid holidays and 3 weeks of organizational-wide closure during the year.
Summit is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly intertwined with education. We are ALL better when we are able to bring our whole selves to work and honor each other’s voices across identities, cultural backgrounds, and life experiences. We welcome and encourage applications from individuals who are members of historically marginalized communities. Spanish language proficiency is a plus.