The Director of Data will lead Summit’s Data team, ensuring that our schools have data they can trust, can access data quickly and easily and make data driven decisions.
This is one of the most cross-functional leadership roles within Summit. This role will collaborate closely with School Leaders + Heads of Schools, external technology vendors, and other stakeholders across the organization to ensure that Summit is utilizing and maintaining its many data systems to manage academic and operational needs. This individual will report to the Chief Information Officer and sit on the Strategic Services Leadership Team while managing a team of four Data Managers and Specialists providing the vision, coaching, and guidance to provide world-class data support to our schools.
The ideal candidate has possesses exceptional project management and relationship building skills. They have experience managing a diverse team and are able to coach and grow direct reports to set and achieve aspirational goals for the team and the organization. Finally, they are technically literate with data tools and technologies such as SQL, Tableau, and Python.
Who We Are:
What if all students graduated high school with not only content knowledge, but the habits and skills to successfully navigate college and career, with a sense of purpose to anchor them? This is the question at the core of Summit Public Schools. Summit is a public school system serving heterogeneous communities in the Bay Area and Washington State and operate 15 schools serving over 4,500 students.
We need exceptional, diverse, and mission-aligned leaders to join our team to help prepare our students for a fulfilled life. Join us!
What You’ll Do:
- Partner with Chief Information Officer to set vision for Data team and execute against it, including strategic planning, goal setting and progress monitoring.
- Lead the high performing team of three managers and one specialist who manage Summit’s data systems and provide support services to our schools
- Collaborate with Home Office and School-Based partners across the organization to continuously improve the technical systems and processes that support the most important work our organization does.
- Manage student information system and ensure data integrity.
- Oversee the development of technical tools and pipelines between data systems, including our organization’s Snowflake data warehouse.
- Oversee all federal, state, and local state, federal, and additional required demographic and academic reporting for schools, partnering with school-based personnel to ensure our reporting is accurate, reliable, compliant, and on-time. Coach team in continued development of better tools and processes to streamline this work.
- Oversee student recruitment, enrollment, and scheduling processes.
- As a subject matter expert, act as project manager, coach, and consultant on technical and data-related projects to stakeholders across the organization.
- Ensure data from all information systems is available to decision-makers in a timely, reliable manner.
What You Need:
Key Qualities and Skills
- Commitment to uphold Summit’s values, belief that all children deserve a rigorous and equitable education that prepares them for college and for life.
- Bachelor’s Degree is required
- Extensive experience in data analysis and visualization and knowledge of database systems is required
- Extensive project + people management experience is required
- Proficiency in SQL, Tableau, and Google Apps, including Google Drive, Google Sheets, and Google Docs or similar software is required
- Prior education experience including classroom experience is strongly preferred
- Clear health and background check.
Who You Are:
- You maintain high expectations for all students and believe all students can find success in school, college, and life.
- You thrive while collaborating and are excited to work with your colleagues. You find positivity in share successes.
- You share our vision to reimagine what schools should be and are excited to make an impact on the public education landscape.
- You are data driven and have the ability to collect, evaluate, and utilize qualitative/quantitative data in meaningful ways.
- You have a deep understanding of database systems and structures; and are able to write/adapt SQL queries and visualize data with Tableau.
- You are positive and resilient in the face of big challenges.
- You are an excellent people manager, with an ability to coach and motivate your team.
- You take initiative and ownership in driving your work to meet personal and team goals.
- You possess strong relationship skills, with the ability to collaborate and communicate with a diverse group of teachers, leaders, staff members, and community members.
- You have an ability to apply honest, actionable, and timely feedback that results in improved performance.
- You have a strategic mindset when it comes to executing data and operations initiatives.
- You are empathetic and culturally competent. You’re open to having hard conversations.
- You thrive in innovative environments, and are comfortable with the ambiguity that can come with a dynamic and progressive workplace.
- You’re committed to continuous improvement, see feedback as a positive, and have a growth mindset.
What you get:
Summit offers competitive salaries and benefit options for full-time employees, including covering 75% of the health, dental and vision plan costs. We fully cover life and disability insurance. We have a “take what you need” PTO policy, 11 paid holidays and 3 weeks of organizational-wide closure during the year.
We strive to recruit a diverse team. Summit Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, parenthood, citizenship status, creed, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Summit will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.