Specialist - Elementary School Professional Development
The Specialist - Elementary School Professional Development creates, updates, and continuously improves initial and ongoing professional learning for teachers of self-contained classrooms in grades four, five and six within the Summit Learning Program. The professional development is focused on training new teachers and adding to the toolkit of veteran teachers so they can create personalized learning classrooms within grade-level teams and schools focused on personalized learning. The Professional Development team creates and facilitates adult learning curriculum for summer onboarding, in-service and ongoing development sessions.
The work of this team is at the forefront of educator development in the nation and will immediately and meaningfully impact thousands of students and educators.
Who We Are:
What if all students graduated high school with not only content knowledge, but the habits and skills to successfully navigate college and career, with a sense of purpose to anchor them? This is the question at the core of Summit Public Schools. Summit is a public school system serving heterogeneous communities in the Bay Area and Washington State and operate 11 schools serving over 3,600 students.
We share our personalized approach to teaching and learning for free through Summit Learning, with more than 330 partner schools across the country. Summit Learning forms the foundation on which Summit’s successful schools were built, with our schools consistently ranking among the best in the nation.
Are you looking for the opportunity to lead change? Do you want to help reimagine what schools should be? We put students in the driver’s seat and empower them with the skills and habits they need to be successful in college and life. We need diverse, driven, and dynamic talent to join our growing team to help realize our educational vision.
What You'll Do:
Develop and Professional Development Curriculum and Programming
- Stay abreast of research and trends involving professional development and teacher training
- Deeply understand the developmental arcs of both novice and veteran teachers who are building personalized learning environments to pinpoint requisite learning milestones
- Lead the design, development and continuous improvement of professional development programming for teachers focused on all aspects of their roles including, but not limited to, curriculum and assessment, operations and compliance, special populations.
- Train educators in implementing the Summit Learning Program in their classrooms
- Train facilitators in implementing professional development programming.
- Represent Summit and the team compellingly in leadership capacity internally and externally.
What You Need:
Key Qualities and Skills
- Commitment to uphold Summit’s values, belief that all children deserve a rigorous and equitable education that prepares them for college and for life.
- Master’s Degree (a Master’s Degree in Education, Curriculum, Teaching, or Learning Design is preferred but not required).
- At least 4 years of teaching / school leadership experience is required; additional professional development leadership is preferred.
- Proficiency in Google Platforms, including Google Drive, Google Sheets, Google Docs, and Google Slides.
- Clear health and background check.
- An ability to travel to schools participating in the Summit Learning Program across the country and trainings
Who You Are:
- You maintain high expectations for all students and believe all students can find success in school, college, and life.
- You thrive while collaborating and are excited to work with your colleagues. You find positivity in share successes.
- You’re deeply dedicated to social justice and feel motivated by the challenge and impact of working in a heterogenous community and closing the achievement gap.
- You share our vision to reimagine what schools should be and are excited to make an impact on the public education landscape.
- You are data driven and have the ability to collect, evaluate, and utilize data in meaningful ways.
- You are positive and resilient in the face of big challenges.
- You take initiative and ownership in driving your work to meet personal and team goals.
- You possess strong relationship skills, with the ability to motivate, inspire, develop, and communicate with a diverse group of teachers, leaders, staff members, and community members.
- You have an ability to apply honest, actionable, and timely feedback that results in improved performance.
- You have a strategic mindset when it comes to executing Professional Development initiatives.
- You are empathetic and culturally competent. You’re open to having hard conversations.
- You thrive in innovative environments, and are comfortable with the ambiguity that can come with a dynamic and progressive workplace.
- You’re committed to continuous improvement, see feedback as a positive, and have a growth mindset.
What You Get:
Summit offers competitive salaries and benefit options for full-time employees, including covering 75% of the health, dental and vision plan costs. We fully cover life and disability insurance. We have a “take what you need” PTO policy, 11 paid holidays and 3 weeks of organizational-wide closure during the year.
We strive to recruit a diverse team. Summit Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, parenthood, citizenship status, creed, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Summit will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.