Summit Public Schools is seeking a Communications Associate to help support our Communications team in telling the Summit Learning story. The Communications Associate will report to the Director of Media & Communication for Summit Learning and support strategic communications, day-to-day media relations and PR efforts, and project management and operations for Summit Learning.
This role requires a demonstrated ability to take initiative and dive deeply into a new role. The ideal candidate is a team-oriented energetic professional who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and has a strong willingness and desire to learn. This is a great opportunity for an individual seeking to develop their communication, community engagement, and writing skills while working towards their passion for serving youth and education.
Who We Are
What if all students graduated high school with both the content knowledge and also the habits and skills necessary to successfully navigate college and career? This is the question that guides our mission at Summit Public Schools. Summit is a leading network of public schools that prepare a diverse student population for success in a four-year college and to be thoughtful, contributing members of society. We operate 11 schools serving over 4,500 students in the Bay Area and Washington state. Historically, 98 percent of Summit graduates are accepted four-year colleges, and Summit graduates complete college at double the national average.
We share our personalized approach to teaching and learning for free through Summit Learning, with more than 380 partner schools across the country. Summit Learning forms the foundation on which Summit’s successful schools were built, with our schools consistently ranking among the best in the nation.
Are you looking for the opportunity to lead change? Do you want to help reimagine what schools should be? We need diverse, driven, and dynamic talent to join our growing team to help realize our educational vision.
What You’ll Do:
Communications & Relationship Management
- Support the implementation of a comprehensive communications strategy designed to elevate the amazing work of the Summit Learning students, educators, parents, communities, and champions.
- Develop national and local reporter relationships and coordinate media outreach, including developing and writing press materials media briefs, talking points, pitches, and other public relations items to raise the visibility of Summit Learning.
- Source and write stakeholder stories to share perspectives of Summit Learning teachers, students and parents.
- Engage Summit Learning partners sharing their stories through social media, letters to the editor, op-eds, blog posts, and other appropriate media.
- Support executive communications when needed and manage all communications assets including media, messaging and crisis.
- Develop spokesperson training and other on-demand resources for Summit Learning.
- Field incoming media inquiries and respond to media requests.
Project Management & Operations
- Build and support the capacity of Summit Learning schools to understand, and effectively respond to, media within their context and communities.
- Provide project management for the organization’s communications calendar.
- Report and analyze results of communications efforts for continuous improvement; develop monthly communications reports and updates.
- Manage the operational systems required to support and implement a high volume of outreach and engagement.
What You Need:
Key Qualities and Skills
- Commitment to uphold Summit’s values, belief that all children deserve a rigorous and equitable education that prepares them for college and for life.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- 1-2 years prior work experience in a communications role is preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal, writing, communication, and presentation skills are required.
- Prior experience in project management is strongly preferred.
- Proficiency in Google Platforms, including Google Drive, Google Sheets, Google Docs, and Google Slides.
- Clear health and background check.
- An ability to travel to Summit Learning schools across the country.
Who You Are:
- You maintain high expectations for all students and believe all students can find success in school, college, and life.
- You thrive while collaborating and are excited to work with your colleagues. You find positivity in shared successes.
- You’re deeply dedicated to social justice and feel motivated by the challenge and impact of working in a heterogeneous community and closing the achievement gap.
- You share our vision to reimagine what schools should be and are excited to make an impact on the public education landscape.
- You are data-driven and have the ability to collect, evaluate, and utilize data in meaningful ways.
- You have expertise in supporting complex and dynamic projects across functions and teams.
- You are positive and resilient in the face of big challenges.
- You take initiative and ownership in driving your work to meet personal and team goals.
- You possess strong relationship skills, with the ability to motivate, inspire, develop, and communicate with a diverse group of teachers, leaders, staff members, and community members.
- You have the ability to apply honest, actionable, and timely feedback that results in improved performance.
- You are empathetic and culturally competent. You’re open to having hard conversations.
- You thrive in innovative environments and are comfortable with the ambiguity that can come with a dynamic and progressive workplace.
- You’re committed to continuous improvement, see feedback as a positive, and have a growth mindset.
What you get:
Summit offers competitive salaries and benefit options for full-time employees, including covering 75% of the health, dental and vision plan costs. We fully cover life and disability insurance. We have a “take what you need” PTO policy, 11 paid holidays and 3 weeks of organizational-wide closure during the year.
We strive to recruit a diverse team. Summit Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, parenthood, citizenship status, creed, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Summit will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.