Director - Elementary School Curriculum & Instruction
The Director - Elementary School Curriculum & Instruction creates, curates and oversees the development of materials that allow for the self-contained Summit Learning educator to bring the three components of Summit Learning and the associated Summit Learning Outcomes to fruition across a diverse set of schools within the Summit Learning Program.
The Director is a collaborative educator development leader with deep knowledge, skill, and experience in elementary pedagogy, national standards frameworks, childhood and adolescent development and complex project management that requires coordinating among multiple stakeholders. The Director stays updated on trends and best practices in elementary education and across the Summit Learning Program.
The work of this team is at the forefront of educator development in the nation and will immediately and meaningfully impact thousands of students and educators.
Who We Are:
What if all students graduated high school with both the content knowledge and also the habits and skills necessary to successfully navigate college and career? This is the question that guides our mission at Summit Public Schools. Summit is a leading network of public schools that prepare a diverse student population for success in a four-year college and to be thoughtful, contributing members of society. We operate 11 schools serving over 4,500 students in the Bay Area and Washington state. Historically, 98 percent of Summit graduates are accepted four-year colleges, and Summit graduates complete college at double the national average.
We share our personalized approach to teaching and learning for free through Summit Learning, with more than 380 partner schools across the country. Summit Learning forms the foundation on which Summit’s successful schools were built, with our schools consistently ranking among the best in the nation.
Are you looking for the opportunity to lead change? Do you want to help reimagine what schools should be? We need diverse, driven, and dynamic talent to join our growing team to help realize our educational vision.
What You'll Do:
Curriculum & Assessment Oversight
- Oversee and contribute to the development of a Base Curriculum for self-contained classrooms (typically across grades four - six) and ensure its quality is consistent with internal specifications and standards
- Ensure that tools and resources relating to assessment are consistent with the vision for the Summit Learning Program and consistently drive growth in student outcomes
- Determine priorities for curriculum development and ensure they are consistent with the Platform’s roadmap and Summit Learning Program team goals and metrics
- Continuously improve the Base Curriculum so that it is highly desirable to program participants and that its use accelerates the achievement of the Summit Learning Outcomes
Collaboration and Relationships Management
- Work collaboratively with Program team leaders so that curricular materials built for self-contained teachers are consistent with professional development and Platform features
- Ensure there are feedback mechanisms in place and carefully monitor data from these feedback mechanisms to update and improve curricular materials
What You Need:
Key Qualities and Skills
- Commitment to uphold Summit’s values, belief that all children deserve a rigorous and equitable education that prepares them for college and for life.
- Bachelor’s Degree (a Master’s Degree in Education, Curriculum, Teaching, or Learning Design is preferred but not required).
- At least 5 years in curriculum development, professional development or school leadership experience is required; additional professional development leadership is preferred.
- Proficiency in Google Platforms, including Google Drive, Google Sheets, Google Docs, and Google Slides.
- Clear health and background check.
- An ability to travel to schools participating in the Summit Learning Program across the country.
Who You Are:
- You maintain high expectations for all students and believe all students can find success in school, college, and life.
- You thrive while collaborating and are excited to work with your colleagues. You find positivity in share successes.
- You’re deeply dedicated to social justice and feel motivated by the challenge and impact of working in a heterogenous community and closing the achievement gap.
- You share our vision to reimagine what schools should be and are excited to make an impact on the public education landscape.
- You are data driven and have the ability to collect, evaluate, and utilize data in meaningful ways.
- You are positive and resilient in the face of big challenges.
- You take initiative and ownership in driving your work to meet personal and team goals.
- You possess strong relationship skills, with the ability to motivate, inspire, develop, and communicate with a diverse group of teachers, leaders, staff members, and community members.
- You have an ability to apply honest, actionable, and timely feedback that results in improved performance.
- You have a strategic mindset when it comes to executing Professional Development initiatives.
- You are empathetic and culturally competent. You’re open to having hard conversations.
- You thrive in innovative environments, and are comfortable with the ambiguity that can come with a dynamic and progressive workplace.
- You’re committed to continuous improvement, see feedback as a positive, and have a growth mindset.
What You Get:
Summit offers competitive salaries and benefit options for full-time employees, including covering 75% of the health, dental and vision plan costs. We fully cover life and disability insurance. We have a “take what you need” PTO policy, 11 paid holidays and 3 weeks of organizational-wide closure during the year.
We strive to recruit a diverse team. Summit Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, parenthood, citizenship status, creed, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Summit will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.