Manager of Data and Information Systems
Summit Public Schools is seeking an experienced Manager of Data & Information Systems to support our schools. This role will lie on Summit’s Data team.
Summit utilizes and maintains many data systems to manage its academic and operational structures, including our personalizing learning platform. This role will develop and manage the technical, operational, and compliance processes related to these data systems to ensure our schools are running smoothly. This role will work in tight coordination with school leaders, external technology vendors, and other individuals across the organization. This is one of the most cross-functional roles at Summit.
The ideal candidate is experienced in cleaning and analyzing data using a variety of tools and techniques. In particular, they have extensive experience in Google Sheets and proficiency in SQL, Tableau, and Python. They have strong attention to detail and enjoy solving tough problems. Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to adjust for different audiences are required.
Who We Are:
What if all students graduated high school with both the content knowledge and also the habits and skills necessary to successfully navigate college and career? This is the question that guides our mission at Summit Public Schools. Summit is a leading network of public schools that prepare a diverse student population for success in a four-year college and to be thoughtful, contributing members of society. We operate 11 schools serving over 4,500 students in the Bay Area and Washington state. Historically, 98 percent of Summit graduates are accepted four-year colleges, and Summit graduates complete college at double the national average.
Are you looking for the opportunity to lead change? Do you want to help reimagine what schools should be? We need diverse, driven, and dynamic talent to join our growing team to help realize our educational vision.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop data dashboard, reports and analyses using Tableau, and Google Sheets.
- Perform user testing and collect feedback to ensure data products effectively meet the needs of the users and of the organization.
- Analyze data to provide reports and summaries for key stakeholders such as School Leaders, Heads of School, and Superintendent.
- Build and maintain data pipelines to support school operations, external and internal reporting, and dashboard development.
- Ensure all relevant student data from external sources (NWEA MAP, state testing, etc) is maintained in Summit’s systems.
- Ensure information systems are functional and easy to access for all relevant stakeholders, including initial setup and ongoing maintenance of each system. This includes account provisioning with Illuminate, Lexia, ST Math, NWEA MAP, and other tools as needed.
- Ensure organization complies with all state and federal data security policies.
- Manage master scheduling at school sites, including development of processes and training school-based faculty.
- Manage recruitment and enrollment processes across the organization
- Manage all state, federal, and other required information reporting (e.g. CALPADS, SARCs, etc) for schools, partnering with school-based personnel to ensure accuracy of all information reported state reporting process to ensure our reporting is accurate, reliable, compliant, and on-time
- Facilitate professional development opportunities for teachers and other school-based personnel around information systems and data-driven decision making
- Partner with relevant parts of the organization on special projects to bring the data perspective to organizational developments
What You Need:
Key Qualities and Skills
- Commitment to uphold Summit’s values, belief that all children deserve a rigorous and equitable education that prepares them for college and for life
- Bachelor’s Degree (a Master’s Degree in Education or a qualitative research field is preferred but not required)
- Experience in education (2+ years classroom teaching experience preferred but not required)
- Strong fluency in Google Sheets
- Experience with data analysis tools such as Python, SQL, and Tableau
- Knowledge of database structures and systems
- Ability to analyze and assess quantitative and qualitative data
- Excellent interpersonal, writing, communication and presentation skills, especially in presenting data to different audiences.
- Clear health and background check
Who You Are:
- You thrive while collaborating and are excited to work with your colleagues. You find positivity in share successes.
- You’re deeply dedicated to social justice and feel motivated by the challenge and impact of working in a heterogenous community and closing the achievement gap.
- You are positive and resilient in the face of big challenges.
- You have an ability to apply honest, actionable, and timely feedback that results in improved performance.
- You are empathetic and culturally competent. You’re open to having hard conversations.
- You thrive in innovative environments, and are comfortable with the ambiguity that can come with a dynamic and progressive workplace.
- You’re committed to continuous improvement, see feedback as a positive, and have a growth mindset.
- You’re a natural problem solver, and you seek out opportunities to make things better.
- You have exceptional project management and organizational skills with especially strong attention to detail.
- You are adaptable, ready to thrive in a rapidly changing environment, and can learn the skills needed to meet the organization’s needs.
What you get:
Summit offers competitive salaries and benefit options for full-time employees, including covering 75% of the health, dental and vision plan costs. We fully cover life and disability insurance. We have a “take what you need” PTO policy, 11 paid holidays and 3 week-long organizational closures during the year.
We strive to recruit a diverse team. Summit Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, parenthood, citizenship status, creed, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Summit will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.