Interim Dean of Operations
The Interim Dean of Operations will be responsible for ensuring the effective, efficient, and values aligned school site operations.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Dean of Operations will be the non-instructional leader of the school site. The Dean will oversee attendance, child nutrition, recruitment and enrollment, facilities, field trips, health and safety, scheduling, records, testing, and transportation. The Dean will also support key compliance projects and manage operations team members, which may include a Community Engagement Manager, Office Assistant(s) and a Food Server.
This position begins immediately and runs through the end of the school calendar (Thursday 6/6/19).The ideal candidate is a results-driven, systems-oriented leader with people and project management experience. The ideal candidate possesses excellent communication skills, and can quickly build strong relationships with faculty, families, staff, and students.
Who We Are:
What if all students graduated high school with not only content knowledge, but the habits and skills to successfully navigate college and career, with a sense of purpose to anchor them? This is the question at the core of Summit Public Schools. Summit is a public school system serving heterogeneous communities in the Bay Area and Washington State and operate 11 schools serving over 3,600 students.
We share our personalized approach to teaching and learning for free through Summit Learning, with more than 330 partner schools across the country. Summit Learning forms the foundation on which Summit’s successful schools were built, with our schools consistently ranking among the best in the nation.
Are you looking for the opportunity to lead change? Do you want to help reimagine what schools should be? We put students in the driver’s seat and empower them with the skills and habits they need to be successful in college and life. We need diverse, driven, and dynamic talent to join our growing team to help realize our educational vision.
What You’ll Do:
- Ensure school meets student attendance goals (95.5% average daily attendance)
- Ensure regular attendance reports are submitted on time, accurately and in compliance.
- Oversee implementation and compliance of attendance interventions including truancy protocols.
Recruitment and Enrollment
- Oversee recruitment of new students and ensure school meets enrollment goals (School is fully enrolled)
- Manage lotteries and registration for prospective students and ensure compliance with charter petition
- Manage re-enrollment for current students (100% forms collected by first day of school)
Health and Safety
- Ensure that site is safe and secure and in compliance, including management of site safety plan (100% emergency drills completed on time, safety plan updated annually, annual safety inspection passed)
- Coordinate site emergency drills and liaise with local emergency departments
- Ensure student incidents are recorded and reported accurately and on time.
- Coordinate site health and nursing services; this includes hearing and vision screening.
- Ensure that field trips are safe and compliant.
Technology and Facilities
- Manage inventory of technology equipment and ensure that chromebooks are kept in good care.
- Manage facilities maintenance, coordinate repairs and liaise with landlords.
- Coordinate with facilities team on site upgrades.
- Oversee child nutrition program and daily meal service; this includes required training and certification.
- Ensure compliance with the National School Lunch Program.
- Manage meal application collection and processing.
Records and Testing
- Oversee intake and ongoing maintenance of student cumulative files to ensure accuracy and compliance, including processing records requests for entering and exiting students.
- Manage incoming transfers and transcript requests
- Oversee distribution of report cards and transcripts.
- Support planning, preparation and administration for standardized tests
- Support design of school master schedule.
- Build student schedules for start of the school year.
- Manage student scheduling maintenance throughout the school year.
- Coordinate daily bussing and manage public transit program.
- Manage transportation reporting and ensure compliance.
- Oversee transportation management for field trips and other school activities.
- Serve as member of the school admin team.
- Manage Community Engagement Manager, Office Assistant(s), and Food Server.
What You Need:
Key Qualities and Skills
- Commitment to uphold Summit’s values, belief that all children deserve a rigorous and equitable education that prepares them for college and for life.
- Bachelor’s Degree is strongly preferred.
- Operations and/or prior school experience is strongly preferred.
- Prior experience in project and people management is strongly preferred.
- Prior experience with data or analysis is preferred.
- Proficiency in Google Platforms, including Google Drive, Google Sheets, Google Docs, and Google Slides.
- Valid CPR/First Aid certification.
- Clear health and background check.
Who You Are:
- You maintain high expectations for all students and believe all students can find success in school, college, and life.
- You thrive while collaborating and are excited to work with your colleagues. You find positivity in share successes.
- You’re deeply dedicated to social justice and feel motivated by the challenge and impact of working in a heterogeneous community and closing the achievement gap.
- You possess excellent organizational and project management skills, with an obsession for details.
- You share our vision to reimagine what schools should be and are excited to make an impact on the public education landscape.
- You are positive and resilient in the face of big challenges.
- You take initiative and ownership in driving your work to meet personal and team goals.
- You possess strong relationship skills, with the ability to motivate, inspire, develop, and communicate with a diverse group of teachers, leaders, staff members, and community members.
- You are empathetic and culturally competent. You’re open to having hard conversations.
- You thrive in innovative environments, and are comfortable with the ambiguity that can come with a dynamic and progressive workplace.
- You’re committed to continuous improvement, see feedback as a positive, and have a growth mindset.
What you get:
Summit offers competitive salaries and benefit options for full-time employees, including covering 75% of the health, dental and vision plan costs. We fully cover life and disability insurance. We have a “take what you need” PTO policy, 11 paid holidays and 3 weeks of organizational-wide closure during the year.
We strive to recruit a diverse team. Summit Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, parenthood, citizenship status, creed, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Summit will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Spanish language proficiency is a plus.