Specialist - Professional Development
Summit Public Schools is seeking to hire a Specialist of Professional Development, who will work to support our partner schools in adopting and institutionalizing Summit Learning across the United States in districts and public charter schools.
The Specialist of Professional Development leads the creation, continual improvement and facilitation of professional development materials used in trainings - both in-person and virtual - for educators (teachers, school leaders, district leaders and third party support organizations) across the country who are partners in the Summit Learning Program.
We are seeking an experienced educator and instructional leader with a passion for and expertise in how schools and school districts engage with innovation and change management, particularly in areas related to instructional model, curriculum and assessment, district support and data systems as part of program implementation, evaluation, and expansion.
We are looking for individuals who are flexible, action-oriented and love to learn new skill-sets by practicing them. The team deeply believes in the power of collaboration because different perspectives and skill sets make us stronger.
The Specialists of Professional Development collaborate extensively with the Summit Learning Program team. While each Specialist needs to have the credibility that comes with experience and the theoretical grounding to make strategic decisions impacting thousands of students across the country, the leadership skill we most desire is the ability to drive principled action aligned to a compelling vision of personalized learning.
Who We Are:
What if all students graduated high school with not only content knowledge, but the habits and skills to successfully navigate college and career, with a sense of purpose to anchor them? This is the question at the core of Summit Public Schools. Summit is a public school system serving heterogeneous communities in the Bay Area and Washington State and operate 11 schools serving over 3,600 students.
We share our personalized approach to teaching and learning for free through Summit Learning, with more than 330 partner schools across the country. Summit Learning forms the foundation on which Summit’s successful schools were built, with our schools consistently ranking among the best in the nation.
Are you looking for the opportunity to lead change? Do you want to help reimagine what schools should be? We put students in the driver’s seat and empower them with the skills and habits they need to be successful in college and life. We need diverse, driven, and dynamic talent to join our growing team to help realize our educational vision.
What You’ll Do:
Curriculum Development & Research
- Lead the design, development, and continuous improvement of professional development programming for educators, focusing on all aspects of an aligned instructional model - this may include topics like curriculum and assessment, training, operations, and compliance.
- Stay abreast of research and trends involving professional development, change management, personalized learning and school district management
- Deeply understand the developmental arcs of educators participating in and leading change management initiatives related to bringing Summit Learning into their schools to pinpoint requisite learning milestones.
- Train educators, administrators and district leadership in implementing the Summit Learning Program across all areas of district and school management.
- Train facilitators in implementing professional development programming.
- Ensure completion, excellence, and accessibility of Summit’s professional development materials within and beyond Summit.
Collaboration & Relationship Management
- Serve as a collaborative team member, moving forward with projects involving the research, creation, faculty training, and revision of an innovative training program.
- Represent Summit and the team compellingly in leadership capacity both internally and externally.
What You Need:
Key Qualities and Skills
- Commitment to uphold Summit’s values, belief that all children deserve a rigorous and equitable education that prepares them for college and for life.
- Bachelor’s Degree (a Master’s Degree in Education, Curriculum, Teaching, or Learning Design is preferred but not required).
- Prior experience in school leadership is preferred.
- Prior experience in project management is strongly preferred.
- Proficiency in Google Platforms, including Google Drive, Google Sheets, Google Docs, and Google Slides.
- Clear health and background check.
- An ability to travel to schools participating in the Summit Learning Program across the country.
Who You Are:
- You maintain high expectations for all students and believe all students can find success in school, college, and life.
- You thrive while collaborating and are excited to work with your colleagues. You find positivity in share successes.
- You’re deeply dedicated to social justice and feel motivated by the challenge and impact of working in a heterogenous community and closing the achievement gap.
- You share our vision to reimagine what schools should be and are excited to make an impact on the public education landscape.
- You are data driven and have the ability to collect, evaluate, and utilize data in meaningful ways.
- You have expertise in planning learning experiences that model skills-based, personalized instruction.
- You are positive and resilient in the face of big challenges.
- You take initiative and ownership in driving your work to meet personal and team goals.
- You possess strong relationship skills, with the ability to motivate, inspire, develop, and communicate with a diverse group of teachers, leaders, staff members, and community members.
- You have an ability to apply honest, actionable, and timely feedback that results in improved performance.
- You have a strategic mindset when it comes to executing professional development initiatives.
- You are empathetic and culturally competent. You’re open to having hard conversations.
- You thrive in innovative environments, and are comfortable with the ambiguity that can come with a dynamic and progressive workplace.
- You’re committed to continuous improvement, see feedback as a positive, and have a growth mindset.
What you get:
Summit offers competitive salaries and benefit options for full-time employees, including covering 75% of the health, dental and vision plan costs. We fully cover life and disability insurance. We have a “take what you need” PTO policy, 11 paid holidays and 3 weeks of organizational-wide closure during the year.
We strive to recruit a diverse team. Summit Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, parenthood, citizenship status, creed, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Summit will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.