Are you interested in a career in teaching?
In the Summit Learning Teacher Residency, you spend a year learning to:
- Engage students in deeper learning projects where they develop skills, apply content knowledge, and integrate the disciplines in authentic performances tasks
- Empower students as self-directed learners, helping them develop the habits and skills that lead to academic, professional, and personal success
- Nurture communities of learners by building meaningful relationships that allow students to grow and thrive
- Connect instructional decisions and students actions to students’ long-term goals and aspirations
If this sounds like the teacher you want to be, join the Summit Learning Teacher Residency! We are currently recruiting for our 2019-2020 cohort, which starts in July 2019.
How does it work?
The Summit Learning Teacher Residency is a one-year program based in the San Francisco Bay Area, during which you are immersed in Summit classrooms four days per week while also completing credentialing coursework leading to a California Single Subject Preliminary Teaching Credential and optionally towards a Master's degree.
Residents in our program are paired with a Cooperating Teacher in Summit Learning school site throughout the Bay Area for a full year, gradually working up to independently teaching one class section for the second semester. Residents’ learning experiences and coursework mirror Summit’s personalized learning approach; residents engage in a project-based curriculum that is competency-based, self-directed, and student-centered.
Who are you?
- You believe that all students can be successful
- You want to collaborate and learn in a cohort of diverse educators
- You want to build meaningful relationships with students
- You believe that every student needs a personalized pathway towards the life they want to lead
- You have a growth mindset, for yourself and your students
- You’re interested in teaching as a profession
Why join Summit Learning Teacher Residency?
The Summit Learning Teacher Residency offers:
- A comprehensive program that deeply integrates the credentialing coursework with the clinical experience
- A student teaching placement that is deeply integrated in a Summit Learning school site in the Bay Area, CA for four full day each week for the length of the academic year
- Learning experiences that allow residents to experience personalized learning themselves as students
- A California Preliminary Single Subject Teaching Credential in English, History/Social Science, Mathematics, Biology, Physics, Chemistry, or Spanish
- Daily coaching and support from a Cooperating Teacher, and regular coaching and support from a Mentor (a full-time Summit Learning Teacher Residency faculty member)
- The opportunity to experience and collaborate with a diverse cohort of Teacher Residents
- Priority hiring for full-time teaching positions at Summit school sites in the year following the residency.
We strive to recruit a diverse cohort. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to including those who come from the same communities in which they will eventually teach. If you are from one of our partner school communities, we especially encourage you to apply.
Summit Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant or applicant on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, parenthood, citizenship status, creed, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Summit will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities