Director of Media Relations
Summit Learning seeks a Director of Media Relations who will lead media relations and outreach to tell the Summit Learning story. The Director of Media Relations will report directly to the Senior Director of Communications for Summit Learning and oversee all media relations work with a special focus on proactive outreach and relationship-building with education and general market reporters.
This is an ideal position for a seasoned communications professional who is passionate about public education. The right person will have a strong grounding in earned media, an understanding of the role that media and storytelling play in education, experience with proactive announcements as well as crisis communications, and a belief in the importance of communications planning.
Who We Are:
What if all students graduated high school with not only content knowledge, but the habits and skills to successfully navigate college and career, with a sense of purpose to anchor them? This is the question at the core of Summit Public Schools. Summit is a public school system serving heterogeneous communities in the Bay Area and Washington State and operate 11 schools serving over 3,600 students.
We share our personalized approach to teaching and learning for free through Summit Learning, with more than 330 partner schools across the country. Summit Learning forms the foundation on which Summit’s successful schools were built, with our schools consistently ranking among the best in the nation.
Are you looking for the opportunity to lead change? Do you want to help reimagine what schools should be? We put students in the driver’s seat and empower them with the skills and habits they need to be successful in college and life. We need diverse, driven, and dynamic talent to join our growing team to help realize our educational vision.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop & manage a near- and long-term proactive media strategy for Summit Learning
- Oversee all media relations efforts including op-ed writing placement, responding to media inquiries, and developing and pitching stories about Summit Learning
- Support educators in sharing their personal stories
- Create systems and processes to track progress of media strategy and share with leadership
- Carry out media training for Summit Learning faculty
Relationship & People Management
- Serve as primary liaison with Summit Public Schools’ Chief Program Officer to support media efforts around the Summit Learning Program
- Lead proactive outreach to media & build strong relationships with reporters and outlets
- Directly manage a team of Media Managers
What You Need:
Key Qualities and Skills
- Commitment to uphold Summit’s values, belief that all children deserve a rigorous and equitable education that prepares them for college and for life.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- At least 5 years’ relevant communications experience, including on-the-record experience for an organization.
- Existing strong relationships and connections with education and general market media required; experience as a journalist a plus.
- An understanding of the intersection of traditional and digital communications is required.
- Excellent interpersonal, writing, communication and presentation skills are required.
- Prior experience managing media relations teams and working with communications consultants is required.
- Proficiency in Google Platforms, including Google Drive, Google Sheets, Google Docs, and Google Slides.
- Clear health and background check.
- An ability to travel to schools participating in the Summit Learning Program across the country.
Who You Are:
- You maintain high expectations for all students and believe all students can find success in school, college, and life.
- You thrive while collaborating and are excited to work with your colleagues. You find positivity in share successes.
- You’re deeply dedicated to social justice and feel motivated by the challenge and impact of working in a heterogenous community and closing the achievement gap.
- You share our vision to reimagine what schools should be and are excited to make an impact on the public education landscape.
- You are data-driven and have the ability to collect, evaluate, and utilize data in meaningful ways.
- You are positive and resilient in the face of big challenges.
- You take initiative and ownership in driving your work to meet personal and team goals.
- You possess strong relationship skills, with the ability to motivate, inspire, develop, and communicate with a diverse group of teachers, leaders, staff members, and community members.
- You have an ability to apply honest, actionable, and timely feedback that results in improved performance.
- You have a strategic mindset when it comes to executing professional development initiatives.
- You are empathetic and culturally competent. You’re open to having hard conversations.
- You thrive in innovative environments, and are comfortable with the ambiguity that can come with a dynamic and progressive workplace.
- You’re committed to continuous improvement, see feedback as a positive, and have a growth mindset.
What you get:
Summit offers competitive salaries and benefit options for full-time employees, including covering 75% of the health, dental and vision plan costs. We fully cover life and disability insurance. We have a “take what you need” PTO policy, 11 paid holidays and 3 weeks of organizational-wide closure during the year.
We strive to recruit a diverse team. Summit Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, parenthood, citizenship status, creed, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Summit will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Spanish language proficiency is a plus.