The School Psychologist serves as a consultant to Summit Public Schools in understanding, assessing, and treating learning and behavioral problems for students. The School Psychologist collaborates with special education teachers, administrators, and other professionals to administer thorough assessments based on the student’s needs and effectively communicates the results to teachers, administrators, and parents. The School Psychologist will serve as an expert to help schools create a safe, healthy, supportive and challenging learning environment for all students.
This is a contract role from August 2018 through June 2019 and will serve schools in the East Bay (Summit K2 and Summit Tam) and Redwood City (Summit Prep).
Who We Are:
What if all students graduated high school with not only content knowledge, but the habits and skills to successfully navigate college and career, with a sense of purpose to anchor them? This is the question at the core of Summit Public Schools. Summit is a public school system serving heterogeneous communities in the Bay Area and Washington State and operate 11 schools serving over 3,600 students.
We share our personalized approach to teaching and learning for free through Summit Learning, with more than 330 partner schools across the country. Summit Learning forms the foundation on which Summit’s successful schools were built, with our schools consistently ranking among the best in the nation.
Are you looking for the opportunity to lead change? Do you want to help reimagine what schools should be? We put students in the driver’s seat and empower them with the skills and habits they need to be successful in college and life. We need diverse, driven, and dynamic talent to join our growing team to help realize our educational vision.
What You’ll Do:
Case Management & Assessments
- Conduct psycho-educational evaluations and behavior assessments for initial evaluations; and conduct ongoing functional behavior assessments.
- Hold manifestation determination proceedings and proceed in subsequent meetings.
- Consult and participate in the pre-referral student process and provide guidance to school teams regarding supports for struggling students.
- Attend IEP meetings with Special Education faculty and assist in the implementation of assessment recommendations as needed, including recommendations for educational and psychological remediation for students with learning, emotional, and behavior disorders.
- Write quality and compliant assessment reports to explain and interpret evaluations.
- Participate in planning, implementing, and assessing district programs for special education students.
- Participate in pre-expulsion procedures for special education students (conduct assessments, coordinate manifestation determination IEP, and, if needed, participate at expulsion hearings).
Relationship Management & Counseling
- Provide expert knowledge to parents, teachers, administrators, and other community agencies/private practitioners as appropriate.
- Collaborate with student families and on-site Special Education faculty to build knowledge of inclusive supports for students with disabilities.
- Provide direct counseling and/or behavioral services to students as needed.
- Consult for referrals to and involvement of related services and outside agencies (e.g. Probation, County Mental Health, private practitioners, etc.).
- Perform other duties as assigned or requested by the appropriate administrator.
What You Need:
Key Qualities and Skills
- Commitment to uphold Summit’s values, belief that all children deserve a rigorous and equitable education that prepares them for college and for life
- Bachelor’s Degree is required.
- A Licensed Educational Psychologist credential and/or Nationally Certified School Psychologist is required.
- Proficiency in Google Platforms, including Google Drive, Google Sheets, Google Docs, and Google Slides.
- Clear health and background check
Who You Are:
- You maintain high expectations for all students and believe all students can find success in school, college, and life.
- You thrive while collaborating and are excited to work with your colleagues. You find positivity in share successes.
- You’re deeply dedicated to social justice and feel motivated by the challenge and impact of working in a heterogeneous community and closing the achievement gap.
- You share our vision to reimagine what schools should be and are excited to make an impact on the public education landscape.
- You are positive and resilient in the face of big challenges.
- You possess strong people management skills, with the ability to motivate, inspire, develop, and collaborate with a diverse group of teachers, leaders, staff members, and community members.
- You have an ability to apply honest, actionable, and timely feedback that results in improved performance.
- You are empathetic and culturally competent. You’re open to having hard conversations.
- You thrive in innovative environments and are comfortable with the ambiguity that can come with a dynamic and progressive workplace.
- You’re committed to continuous improvement, see feedback as a positive, and have a growth mindset.
What you get:
Summit offers competitive salaries and benefit options for full-time employees, including covering 75% of the health, dental and vision plan costs. We fully cover life and disability insurance. We have a “take what you need” PTO policy, 11 paid holidays and 3 week-long organizational closures during the year.
We strive to recruit a diverse team. Summit Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, parenthood, citizenship status, creed, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Summit will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Spanish language proficiency is a plus.