Director of Creative & Content Strategy, Summit Learning
The Director of Creative & Content Strategy will work in partnership with the Senior Director of Outreach and the broader Summit Learning team to tell the Summit Learning story. This individual will lead a team of creatives — content writers, videographers, and designers — both in-house and externally, in realizing a creative/content strategy that deepens engagement, builds trust, proves value, and drives growth among the Summit Learning community.
This leader will be responsible for bringing the Summit Learning story to life in a compelling, engaging way. Specific responsibilities include leading a cross-functional content editorial calendar; creating content including success stories, case studies, blogs, testimonials, research results and data; and delivering content for multiple audiences from educators to parents to thought leaders in multiple formats including videos, text (blogs, reports, white papers), presentations, infographics, and other visuals. Excellent short and long-form storytelling and multimedia creative skills are critical to success in this role.
The ideal candidate is a natural storyteller. This position calls for a passionate and experienced professional to lead the telling of the Summit Learning story. This would be an ideal position for an individual aiming to apply their storytelling and creative/content strategy skills to their passion for education. We are looking for a self-starter who isn't afraid to take initiative. This position requires a team-oriented energetic professional who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, and with a strong willingness and desire to learn.
Who We Are:
What if all students graduated high school with not only content knowledge, but also the habits and skills to successfully navigate college and career, with a sense of purpose to anchor them? This is the question at the core of Summit Public Schools. Summit is a public school system serving heterogeneous communities in the Bay Area and Washington State and operate 11 schools serving over 3,600 students.
We share our personalized approach to teaching and learning for free through the Summit Learning Program, with more than 330 partner schools across the country. Summit Learning forms the foundation on which Summit’s successful schools were built, with our schools consistently ranking among the best in the nation.
Are you looking for the opportunity to lead change? Do you want to help reimagine what schools should be? We put students in the driver’s seat and empower them with the skills and habits they need to be successful in college and life. We need diverse, driven, and dynamic talent to join our growing team to help realize our educational vision.
What You’ll Do:
- Build awareness and create demand for Summit Learning with key audiences including educators, parents, and thought-leaders with compelling, engaging content
- Develop the creative strategy and content roadmap for a variety of media (social, blog, email, events, web, etc.), aligned to key objectives and audience interests
- Manage the creative pipeline to execute on requests from other departments in a timely manner
- Present and explain creative conceptual work to executive team
- Lead, manage, and provide art and design direction to a small team of in-house creatives (3-4 direct reports)
- Manage creative agencies and contractors including writers, videographers, and graphic designers
- Collaborate cross-organizationally to identify storytelling opportunities and develop stories and content in a variety of formats, including text, video, and graphic/visual
- Work collaboratively across functions to manage and deliver an effective content marketing editorial calendar and process
- Own and further develop the Summit Learning brand and champion its proper usage and expansion
- Employ digital analytics, A/B testing, focus groups, market surveys, field research and other tactics to track and prove effectiveness of work and strategies
- Work closely with the digital marketing team to support lead generation initiatives and drive user actions through compelling creative
- Provide hands-on design and copywriting support when needed
- Represent Summit Learning in a variety of public settings and with key stakeholders
Who You Are:
- You are a natural storyteller and have extensive experience in creative direction, brand management, content strategy, writing, and/or media production.
- You have led or built out functional creative teams.
- You are passionate about the education sector.
- You understand fundamental design principles and have a keen knowledge of the latest design trends.
- You have a deep understanding and focus on audience, objectives, and alignment of creative/content strategies to greater team and organizational goals.
- You are data-driven and have the ability to collect, evaluate, and utilize qualitative/quantitative data in meaningful ways, including through the setting and measurement of individual and team-level data-driven goals.
- You maintain high expectations for all students and believe all students can find success in school, college, and life.
- You thrive while collaborating and are excited to work with your colleagues. You find positivity in share successes.
- You are an excellent people manager, with an ability to coach and motivate your team.
- You possess strong relationship skills, with the ability to collaborate and communicate with a diverse group of teachers, leaders, staff members, and community members.
- You have an ability to apply honest, actionable, and timely feedback that results in improved performance.
- You thrive in innovative environments and are comfortable with the ambiguity that can come with a dynamic and progressive workplace.
Ideal candidates will have:
- Minimum 7-10 years experience, including creative direction, brand management, content strategy, writing, and/or media production.
- A Bachelor’s degree
- Experience recruiting talent and managing/developing teams
- Link to a personal website or online portfolio of work that showcases a wide variety of skills — writing, design, videos, ads, branding, etc.
About the Growth & Outreach Team:
This team leads communications, content strategy and outreach for Summit Learning. This team exists to generate awareness and demonstrate the value of Summit Learning, build trust in the community and with the public, and drive the growth of the Summit Learning Program.
What You Get:
Summit offers competitive salaries and benefit options for full-time employees, including covering 75% of the health, dental and vision plan costs. We fully cover life and disability insurance. We have a “take what you need” PTO policy, 11 paid holidays and 3 weeks of organizational-wide closure during the year.
We strive to recruit a diverse team. Summit Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, parenthood, citizenship status, creed, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Summit will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.