Do you have a passion for diversifying the teaching pool to positively impact the lives of students in K-12 public education? Are you excited for and motivated by the opportunity to develop and grow new programs across the country?
We’re looking for a self-starter who thrives in an entrepreneurial environment, is strategic and results-oriented, excels at critical thinking, and has outstanding recruiting and interpersonal skills to be our Manager of Recruitment for the Summit Learning Teacher Residency.
The Manager of Recruitment for the Summit Learning Teacher Residency is responsible for planning and executing outreach strategies to develop a high-quality and diverse annual applicant pool, and to support the expansion of the program. The ideal candidate is strategic and results-oriented, excels at critical thinking, has exceptional interpersonal and recruiting skills, and a track record of customer service orientation. The candidate must be a highly motivated individual who thrives in an entrepreneurial environment and wants to positively impact the lives of students by improving K-12 public education. Occasional travel required for this position.
Learn more about the Summit Learning Teacher Residency here.
Who We Are:
What if all students graduated high school with not only content knowledge, but the habits and skills to successfully navigate college and career, with a sense of purpose to anchor them? This is the question at the core of Summit Public Schools. Summit is a public school system serving heterogeneous communities in the Bay Area and Washington State and operate 11 schools serving over 3,600 students.
We share our personalized approach to teaching and learning for free through Summit Learning, with more than 330 partner schools across the country. Summit Learning forms the foundation on which Summit’s successful schools were built, with our schools consistently ranking among the best in the nation.
Are you looking for the opportunity to lead change? Do you want to help reimagine what schools should be? We put students in the driver’s seat and empower them with the skills and habits they need to be successful in college and life. We need diverse, driven, and dynamic talent to join our growing team to help realize our educational vision.
What is the Summit Learning Teacher Residency?
Our world is dramatically different than it was when our public school system was born over 100 years ago. Employers today demand college graduates who are highly skilled at working in teams, thinking critically, solving complex problems, planning and prioritizing work and communicating effectively – in short, graduates with 21st-century skills.
Summit has built a Personalized Learning model designed to equip students with these crucial skills. And yet, we know that current teacher credentialing and professional development programs are not adequately preparing teachers for these schools. To support the creation of high-quality Personalized Learning schools across America, we need high-quality Personalized Learning teachers, both at Summit and in schools across the nation.
We also know that to reach their highest potential, our students need teachers with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We must intentionally create pathways that bring more diversity into the teaching profession.
The Summit Learning Teacher Residency recruits a new generation of diverse teachers and supports them in building the skills, mindset, and practice to lead a high-quality personalized learning classroom. It is a one year program during which residents are immersed in Summit Learning classrooms while also completing credentialing coursework leading to a teaching credential. We plan to expand the program into additional regions of the country in partnership with the Summit Learning Program beginning in the 2019-20 school year.
What You’ll Do:
The Manager of Recruitment is responsible for designing, planning and executing outreach strategies to develop a high quality, diverse, annual applicant pool, and to support the expansion of the program.
Primary responsibilities include:
Strategy Development and Execution
- Work with the Senior Director of SLTR to develop and implement a cohesive recruitment strategy to support program growth, both at Summit and at partner schools as the program scales
- As the program expands, support SLTR Regional Directors in executing the recruitment strategy across various regions
- Collaborate with Summit’s Talent Team to align recruitment strategies and effort
- Collaborate with Summit’s Talent Team to support Summit’s diversity initiatives
Communication and Marketing
- Communicate the uniqueness of the Summit Learning Teacher Residency to the market of prospective teachers and leaders through branding opportunities, including the program’s website, printed materials, social media, public engagements, networking events, conferences, and job fairs
- Form and cultivate relationships with key national and local talent pipelines
- Develop an effective communication strategy with differentiated messaging for various talent pipelines
- Manage and implement ongoing engagement calendar with high-quality pipelines
- Work with cross-functional team to create collateral for external messaging
- Analyze incoming applications, particularly with a focus on meeting diversity targets, and use to inform recruitment strategy and plan.
- Screen incoming applications according to admissions criteria.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for potential candidates, applicants, and enrolled residents throughout the admissions process.
Data Collection and Analysis
- Utilize data to determine pipelines that produce the most right-fit candidates for our program
- Analyze the effectiveness of varied recruitment-related activities
This position is based in the Bay Area, requires frequent travel throughout the Bay Area, and may require occasional travel to other regions.
What You Need:
Key Qualities and Skills
- Commitment to uphold Summit’s values, belief that all children deserve a rigorous and equitable education that prepares them for college and for life.
- Bachelor’s Degree is required.
- 3-5 years prior experience in recruitment and/or university admissions is required.
- 2+ years of exemplary teaching experience or experience in an education-related field is preferred.
- Prior experience balancing multiple projects against ambitious deadlines is strongly preferred.
- Proficiency in Google Platforms, including Google Drive, Google Sheets, Google Docs, and Google Slides.
- Clear health and background check.
Who You Are:
- You maintain high expectations for all students and believe all students can find success in school, college, and life.
- You thrive while collaborating and are excited to work with your colleagues. You find positivity in share successes.
- You’re deeply dedicated to social justice and feel motivated by the challenge and impact of working in a heterogenous community and closing the achievement gap.
- You share our vision to reimagine what schools should be and are excited to make an impact on the public education landscape.
- You possess excellent judgment and strong instincts when it comes to evaluating talent.
- You are data-driven in your decision-making process, and utilize data in creating and executing long-term plans and projects.
- You are positive and resilient in the face of big challenges.
- You naturally take initiative in completing projects and are eager to contribute towards programmatic growth.
- You possess strong people management skills, with the ability to motivate, inspire, develop, and collaborate with a diverse group of teachers, leaders, staff members, and community members.
- You thrive in a collaborative team environment and work well with others.
- You have a knack for details and thrive on strong organizational skills.
- You communicate in a persuasive capacity when speaking to potential residency candidates.
- You have an ability to apply honest, actionable, and timely feedback that results in improved performance.
- You are empathetic and culturally competent. You’re open to having hard conversations.
- You thrive in innovative environments and are comfortable with the ambiguity that can come with a dynamic and progressive workplace.
- You’re committed to continuous improvement, see feedback as a positive, and have a growth mindset.
What you get:
Summit offers competitive salaries and benefit options for full-time employees, including covering 75% of the health, dental and vision plan costs. We fully cover life and disability insurance. We have a “take what you need” PTO policy, 11 paid holidays and 3 week-long organizational closures during the year.
We strive to recruit a diverse team. Summit Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, parenthood, citizenship status, creed, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Summit will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Spanish language proficiency is a plus.