At Sugar, we make residential properties feel like home by fostering community among residents and integrating deeply with the technology stack that powers modern buildings.
Most residential apps are clunky, outdated, and a pain to use. Tasks as simple as paying rent, communicating with your property manager, or unlocking your door are cumbersome and tedious. Many residents feel isolated and disconnected from their neighbors, which is especially relevant in the light of COVID-19 and its impact. This leads to high resident turnover, negative online reviews, and decreased revenue for building owners.
By building delightful experiences for our users, we're creating a positive-sum world where residents thrive and property value is maximized.
As residents ourselves, we're creating the living experience we wish we had - and helping property owners deliver that experience to their residents. We're fortunate to have built a team of ambitious, curious, talented, and diverse individuals who are passionate about this problem space.
We're looking for an experienced full stack engineer to help us drive our mission forward. This role reports to the Lead Software Engineer.
Importance of Engineering
Our users trust us with one of the most personal aspects of their lives - access to their home and their community. As such, we hold ourselves to incredibly high standards of reliability, security, and usability. Building systems that meet these demands is a challenging task.
Some of the engineering problems that we solve on a daily basis include:
- Reliably and securely controlling on-premises hardware and IoT devices in varying network conditions
- Integrating with legacy enterprise software in a way that masks the underlying complexity
- Crafting fluid, intuitive interfaces with sub-100ms interactions on a wide variety of end-user devices
Building the systems that represent the future of residential living is brimming with complexity and opportunity. We'd love your help.
What we’re looking for:
- You have 5+ years of experience building consumer-facing applications, or can demonstrate a similar proficiency
- You have a strong command of technologies like Django, Postgres, Redis, React/React Native, and GraphQL
- You're able to learn quickly and you embrace the opportunity to share your knowledge with others
- You enjoy experimentation and can build large applications through small iterative releases.
- You thrive in an early-stage startup environment, working closely with a tight knit team, learning daily from users, and having autonomy and ownership over the products you build
- You're an excellent communicator, and are able to clearly distill complex topics for both technical and non-technical team members
- You're able to break down large problems down and deeply understand the tradeoffs involved in solving them
- You're humble, kind, and incredibly self-aware
- You know your own weak spots intimately and have a genuine desire to improve
- You’re looking for a long-term role with a company that has long-term ambition
Bonus points if:
- You have experience working with physical access control systems
- You have a background in information security
- You have experience building applications that meet the standards of SOC-2 or ISO-27001 compliance
Working @ Sugar
On top of interesting work, Sugar provides:
- The ability to grow from the ground up with a VC-backed startup in a high-growth industry
- Competitive salary + equity grants
- A commitment to using, support, and building open-source
- A culture focused on optimizing for learning and personal development
- Sane working hours
- 15 days/year PTO + All major holidays off
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Health Insurance Coverage (Sugar pays 80% for employee + dependents)
- $100/month Health + Wellness Stipend (gym membership, yoga classes, massages, therapy, etc.)
- $1000/year professional development stipend (conferences, leadership / communication coaches, books, courses, etc.)