At Substack, we believe that what you read matters and good writing is valuable. We’re hiring a communications manager to help lead our storytelling efforts, strategically using a variety of communications channels to amplify Substack and the profiles of the writers, creators, and podcasters who use our platform. The ideal candidate will be an innovative, creative thinker who doesn’t rely on a traditional PR playbook and thinks strategically about opportunities beyond established media outlets. The communications manager will have a deep interest in supporting writers and their right to free expression, and be eager to make an impact in a fast-paced, startup environment. This role reports to the head of communications, and is based in New York City or San Francisco
- Work closely with the head of communications on strategy, objectives, consistency and guardrails for communications across the company.
- Work with the writers, creators, and podcasters to develop narratives and key messages, pitching and executing on ideas that will help to amplify their work and grow their subscriber numbers.
- Help develop and execute the corporate communications strategy for Substack, proactively pitching executives for media and event appearances and responding to inbound requests.
- Partner closely with the internal marketing, product, and data teams to deeply understand writer and reader behavior, and leverage insights to build storylines that demonstrate why Substack is the place where the most interesting conversations happen.
- Work cross functionally to help guide our strategy and approach to internal communications, including employee messaging and all hands programming.
- Excellent written, verbal, and diplomatic skills, with a sharp attention to detail.
- Strong media relations skills, with experience in working to develop long lead stories with reporters and handling reactive, crisis related inbound media requests.
- Fluent with social media and comfortable using it to amplify key messages when appropriate.
- A proactive, conscientious communications approach, balancing daily and weekly opportunities with longer term ones.
- A voracious reader and subscriber to Substacks, with a keen sense of the evolving tech and media landscape.
- The ability to work quickly and effectively while managing several projects under deadline.
Substack’s compensation package includes a market competitive salary, equity for all full time roles, and exceptional benefits. Our cash compensation salary range for this role is $100,000 - $120,000. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Substack is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or transgender status), age, national origin, veteran or disability status. We’re seeking people passionate about enabling independent expression and building a better business model for creators. If you want to see what media, communities, and content can become when unmoored from advertising models, and you have the skills and experience to contribute, we’d love to meet you.