Submittable is seeking a Staff Software Engineer to join our dynamic, growth-driven team in Seattel, WA or Missoula, MT. This position is open to remote candidates and is an incredible opportunity for someone looking to take on a large technical leadership role in a rapidly growing company.
This person will be responsible for the evolution of our existing software and systems, both strategically and tactically. This is both a code writing and architecture role. The expectation for whoever fills this position is to understand our existing software and systems architecture, propose and own a roadmap for near-term improvements and a long-term vision, and then drive this road map.
The position is a full-time individual contributor role and reports to the VP of Engineering.
The Senior Front End Software Engineer responsibilities include:
- Jump into our software and infrastructure, quickly becoming an expert on where we are today
- Identify near term improvements to our existing system. The improvements might include enhancements to our developer experience, our infrastructure architecture, and our core software, to support near-term growth and stability
- You’ll create and own our software and infrastructure technical roadmaps, including the burn down of tech debt
- You’ll work closely with a wonderful team of software engineers, test engineers, product managers, and product designers
- You’ll drive productive engineering discussions, generating excitement and buy-in
- You’ll write code, lots of code
An ideal candidate will have these qualities and experience:
- Legacy and modern Web Application design paradigms and at least one stack, top to bottom. Our legacy stack is ASP.NET MVC, C#, and SQL Server. We’re migrating to a server less infrastructure using .NET Core, Lambda, and Postgres. On the front-end, you'll find React and Redux
- Software Engineering - we’re looking for an expert, someone who can and will learn what they need, from .NET to routing in Redux and who has at least 7 years of experience writing code for similar systems
- Modern cloud native infrastructure and design principles, specifically in the context of AWS
- Database design - we’re looking for someone with expertise in optimizing data centric systems. Ideally, experience would include using ORMs and migrating a system from direct-to-DB queries to thoughtful abstraction
- Scale - we utilize a complex ETL pipeline, SQS queues, Elasticsearch, and more for various large scale problems such as reporting and analytics
- Significant experience and knowledge of at least on common relational database postgres, mysql, mssql
- Query optimization, indexing, and index optimization
- Database scaling using Read replicas, sharding, and other techniques
- Relational databases in the cloud context
- How to work well with other experienced software engineers and mentor less experienced software engineers
- How to write well, and a preference for writing things down. There are several key deliverables for this role: software and infrastructure roadmaps, written technical designs, clearly written tickets, code reviews, and more
- We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we currently do not sponsor H-1B visas
Submittable was started in 2010 by three creatives—a writer, a filmmaker, and a musician—as a simple way to submit creative work. Today it’s a growing social impact platform used by thousands of organizations to manage their programs and maximize their impact.
Submittable has its headquarters in downtown Missoula, Montana, with a satellite office in Seattle, Washington and remote employees located around the U.S.
We offer highly-competitive benefits for full-time employees, including:
- Health insurance, 401K, life insurance, and optional HSA, FSA, and DCA accounts
- Flexible hours, including flexible vacations and sick leave
- Generous paid parental leave policy for mothers, fathers, and adoptive parents
- Discounted fitness memberships, professional development stipends, and book purchase reimbursement
- Involvement in community outreach programs for all employees, including company volunteer outings at local nonprofits
- Fully-stocked kitchens with complimentary snacks and beverages for all employees
- Gender-neutral bathrooms with free pads/tampons
As a product used globally, we're very motivated to hire and support employees who are representative of different and diverse backgrounds and experiences, including but not limited to diversity of ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, religion, ability, culture, and socioeconomics.