Student Loan Hero (SLH) combines financial education with easy-to-use tools to help the millions of Americans living with student loan debt to manage their student loans smarter.
Founded in 2012, Student Loan Hero (https://studentloanhero.com) is on a mission to help 44 million people manage and repay over $1.4 trillion in student loan debt.
Student Loan Hero combines financial education with easy-to-use tools, unbiased personalized advice and repayment plans to help student loan borrowers become financially healthy.
What does the Assignment Editor do?
The Assignment Editor is responsible for the team’s development of content related to a specific vertical. This position is essential in leading content idea generation, story packaging, and coordination of writers to cover relevant topics while meeting productivity goals.
We help our readers and users answer important questions about their student loans and their finances in general. This process includes verifying information within our content, researching and identifying optimal keywords to highlight, and even participating in content ideation. The goal: make the often-confusing world of student loans and personal finance easy to understand so that our readers can take action.
In addition to hundreds of posts published on the Student Loan Hero blog, we’ve contributed to and been featured in The New York Times, Business Insider, The Huffington Post, Forbes, and Entrepreneur, to name just a few publications.
The ideal candidate for this position should have an entrepreneurial mindset and be ready to take on and initiate new projects as he or she sees the need arise.
What’s it like to work on the Student Loan Hero team?
Student Loan Hero is a fully remote team. We have team members all over the world, in cities including NYC, Austin, Portland, Santiago, and St. Petersburg.
Since we’re literally all over the map, communication using Slack, Gmail, Basecamp, Google Hangouts, and other tools is key for us. Don't worry—you won't be alone. We communicate regularly throughout the day.
In our small group, each team member uses highly specialized skills while working on a variety of projects. We enjoy giving our team members autonomy to do the work that interests them. We’re focused on the output of each team member, not putting in long hours.
We’re always open to new ways to create better content and make Student Loan Hero better for student loan borrowers, and we want to hear new ideas from you. A large part of our culture and values is transparency. We believe that team members should collaborate and communicate, not compete or engage in office politics.
At the same time, we like to make work as much fun as possible. We want everyone on our team to grow both personally and professionally, which is why we offer wellness and educational bonuses, as well as several other great perks.
Above all, we’re each proud to work on solving meaningful problems and to impact lives every day. Whether it’s authoring a blogpost read by thousands of borrowers or answering a one-on-one customer support question, we value that working for Student Loan Hero makes a positive impact.
- Selects, develops, and plans assignments for writers based on keyword research and analytics.
- Schedules assignments and manages editorial calendar for team.
- Searches for content ideas by using social media websites, reviewing customer feedback, and keeping a pulse on political or regulatory news/trends.
- Leads a team of writers and copy editors; assists with hiring, training, performance management discussions.
- Works with other teams during production and ideation as needed.
- Reviews content and performs quality assurance checks before publishing.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S.
- Bachelor's degree required
- Minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience
- Superior communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Strong computer skills
- Familiarity with WordPress and Google Analytics
- Ability to prioritize and delegate effectively
- Excellent decision-making skills, especially related to topic selection and news-worthiness
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities and business needs
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to maintain professional demeanor
- Knowledge of editorial guidelines, keyword research, and SEO optimization
- Previous blog/online publishing experience on an editorial team (strongly preferred)
- Experience working in financial services industry (preferred)
- Competitive salary: Based on experience and location.
- Equity: We’ll give you vested shares in the company.
- Vacation: Unlimited.
- Flexible hours: Work when you’re most productive.
- Work remotely: Work from wherever you want in the world. (Costa Rica, anyone?)
- New equipment: We’ll hook you up with a $2,000 technology stipend to purchase a laptop or whatever helps you work.
- Remote workspace: We’ll pay up to $500/month for a remote office space (e.g., co-working space).
- Wellness: We cover 100% of premiums for employees and dependents on a silver-level health insurance plan, plus you get up to $150/month for gym, fitness classes, nutrition counseling, weight loss programs, nutritious food delivery service, acupuncture, massages, workout equipment, or race registrations.
- Continuing education: Up to $100/month for courses, books, or anything you’d like to learn!
- Financial contribution: Receive a 100% match of up to 3% of annual salary to a retirement account, or a 100% match of up to $2,000 toward student loan repayment assistance.