Student Loan Hero (SLH) combines financial education with easy-to-use tools to help the millions of Americans living with student loan debt to manage their student loans smarter.
Founded in 2012, Student Loan Hero (https://studentloanhero.com) is on a mission to help 44 million people manage and repay over $1.4 trillion in student loan debt.
Student Loan Hero combines financial education with easy-to-use tools, unbiased personalized advice and repayment plans to help student loan borrowers become financially healthy.
What does the UX Researcher do?
As a User Experience (UX) Researcher, you’ll work closely with our Product Designer and Product Manager to research and identify customer needs, and derive insights that inform product strategy. You’ll lead research efforts, and communicate results creatively and effectively throughout the entire organization.
You will be a strong advocate for the role of research in product development, articulating user research insights to Design and Product leadership. You will help your key stakeholders distill the core challenges and find the best tools or methods to provide insight and inspiration that helps solves their challenges. You will perform the research independently, and document and share a quantitative and/or qualitative analysis of your findings.
- Collaborate with internal teams to identify research opportunities and build a backlog of research topics with our Product and Design teams.
- Utilize your deep understand of qualitative and quantitative research methods to identify the best tools that will bring user insights to the team.
- Design quantitative and qualitative research studies for research topics.
- Share findings in a clear, concise, and compelling way with relevant stakeholders and the rest of the company.
- Perform website usability testing, including heuristic task and workflow audits.
- Recruit participants and design, moderate, synthesize, and communicate findings and recommendations.
- Research and document user journeys.
- Research user cohorts and develop customer personas.
- Inspire company wide ideation and problem solving by bringing our users’ needs to life.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
What’s it like to work on the Student Loan Hero team?
Student Loan Hero is a fully remote team. We have team members all over the world, in cities including NYC, Austin, Portland, Santiago, and St. Petersburg.
Since we’re literally all over the map, communication using Slack, Gmail, Google Hangouts, and other tools is key for us. Don't worry—you won't be alone. We communicate regularly throughout the day.
As a growing company, most team members get to wear multiple hats, giving you tremendous learning and development opportunities. We believe in giving our team members autonomy to work on projects that interest them. Also, we place value on the output of each team member, and not simply the amount of facetime or hours you spend online.
A large part of our culture and values is transparency—we believe that team members should collaborate and communicate, not compete or engage in office politics.
At the same time, we like to make work as much fun as possible and “embrace the weird” about ourselves. We encourage our team to grow both personally and professionally, which is why we offer wellness and educational stipends, as well as several other great perks.
Above all, we’re proud to work on meaningful projects that impact the financial health of millions of people.
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S.
- 5+ years of user experience design or research related work required.
- BA/BS in Human-Computer Interaction, User Experience, Interaction Design, Cognitive Science, or Marketing related disciplines.
- MS/MA in Human-Computer Interaction is preferred.
- Experience with applied research methods.
- Experience with web analytics platforms, such as Google Analytics and Heap.
- Understanding of various design research methods.
- Experience moderating user research interviews.
- Comfortable analyzing both qualitative and quantitative data.
- Good communicator and storyteller.
- Insatiably curious, and a natural empath.
- Competitive salary: Based on experience and location.
- Equity: We’ll give you vested shares in the company.
- Vacation: Unlimited.
- Flexible hours: Work when you’re most productive.
- Work remotely: Work from wherever you want in the world. (Costa Rica, anyone?)
- New equipment: We’ll hook you up with a $2,000 technology stipend to purchase a laptop or whatever helps you work.
- Remote workspace: We’ll pay up to $500/month for a remote office space (e.g., co-working space).
- Wellness: We cover 100% of premiums for employees and dependents on a silver-level health insurance plan, plus you get up to $150/month for gym, fitness classes, nutrition counseling, weight loss programs, nutritious food delivery service, acupuncture, massages, workout equipment, or race registrations.
- Continuing education: Up to $100/month for courses, books, or anything you’d like to learn!
- Financial contribution: Receive a 100% match of up to 3% of annual salary to a retirement account, or a 100% match of up to $2,000 toward student loan repayment assistance.