Student Loan Hero (SLH) combines financial education with easy-to-use tools to help the millions of Americans living with student loan debt to manage their student loans smarter.
Founded in 2012, Student Loan Hero (https://studentloanhero.com) is on a mission to help 44 million people manage and repay over $1.4 trillion in student loan debt.
Student Loan Hero combines financial education with easy-to-use tools, unbiased personalized advice and repayment plans to help student loan borrowers become financially healthy.
What does the Digital Product Designer do?
As (Digital) Product Designer, you’ll lead all aspects of the design process, including user research, product ideation, interaction design, and visual design. Working in collaboration with our Product Manager and Engineering teams, you’ll influence the product roadmap for the entire company, creating tools to help student loan borrowers organize, manage, and pay off their student loans.
- Design and execute user research studies
- Translate insights from user research into product and feature ideas
- Create user experiences that facilitate clear, effective financial decision-making
- Produce low and high fidelity wireframes that can be used by our engineering team to build new product features
- Design workflows that identify the user path and task flow
- Manage the relationship with outside design and research agencies
- Work with our Product and Development teams to ensure that designs ship with high quality and results
- Other duties as assigned
What’s it like to work on the Student Loan Hero team?
Student Loan Hero is a fully remote team. We have team members all over the world, in cities including NYC, Austin, Portland, Santiago, and St. Petersburg.
Since we’re literally all over the map, communication using Slack, Gmail, Google Hangouts, and other tools is key for us. Don't worry—you won't be alone. We communicate regularly throughout the day.
As a growing company, most team members get to wear multiple hats, giving you tremendous learning and development opportunities. We believe in giving our team members autonomy to work on projects that interest them. Also, we place value on the output of each team member, and not simply the amount of facetime or hours you spend online.
A large part of our culture and values is transparency—we believe that team members should collaborate and communicate, not compete or engage in office politics.
At the same time, we like to make work as much fun as possible and “embrace the weird” about ourselves. We encourage our team to grow both personally and professionally, which is why we offer wellness and educational stipends, as well as several other great perks.
Above all, we’re proud to work on meaningful projects that impact the financial health of millions of people.
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S.
- BA/BS degree in Design or Psychology (preferred)
- 3+ years of visual and interaction design experience
- A strong design portfolio that shows your user experience and interaction design chops, as well as your ability to think strategically
- Ability to defend your design decisions, including putting the user need at the center of your case and align with overall business objectives
- Track record of shipping high quality web and/or mobile products and experiences
- Experience using web analytics software including Google Analytics and Heap
- Experience with multivariate (A/B) testing and agile iteration processes
- Ability to switch from high level strategic thinking to obsessing over pixel perfect UI
- Experience with Sketch, InVision, and Chrome Developer Tools
- Proven track record of working within budget and on time
- Experience designing B2C products that help facilitate good decision-making and positive behavior change (preferred)
- Experience with personal finance products (preferred)
- Competitive salary: Based on experience and location.
- Equity: We’ll give you vested shares in the company.
- Vacation: Unlimited.
- Flexible hours: Work when you’re most productive.
- Work remotely: Work from wherever you want in the world. (Costa Rica, anyone?)
- New equipment: We’ll hook you up with a $2,000 technology stipend to purchase a laptop or whatever helps you work.
- Remote workspace: We’ll pay up to $500/month for a remote office space (e.g., co-working space).
- Wellness: We cover 100% of premiums for employees and dependents on a silver-level health insurance plan, plus you get up to $150/month for gym, fitness classes, nutrition counseling, weight loss programs, nutritious food delivery service, acupuncture, massages, workout equipment, or race registrations.
- Continuing education: Up to $100/month for courses, books, or anything you’d like to learn!
- Financial contribution: Receive a 100% match of up to 3% of annual salary to a retirement account, or a 100% match of up to $2,000 toward student loan repayment assistance.