Founded in 2012, Student Loan Hero, Inc. is helping 200,000+ borrowers manage and eliminate over $3.5 billion dollars in student loan debt. We’re on a mission to help 44 million Americans manage their student loans smarter.
Student Loan Hero combines financial education with easy-to-use tools, unbiased personalized advice and repayment plans to help student loan borrowers become financially healthy.
What does the photo editor do?
The photo editor will play a major role in defining and maintaining the visual style of Student Loan Hero’s content, ensuring all graphical elements are fully optimized for readers, distribution platforms (SEO, social media, email etc.) and business objectives. In addition to strategically sourcing and selecting stock imagery, the photo editor will create original graphics like infographics and charts to accompany our stories and studies.
The ideal candidate for this role should have a good eye for design, be highly organized, have excellent communication skills, and like to work collaboratively.
The day to day:
- Source, select, and optimize images from Shutterstock, AP Images, and other photo licensing accounts to accompany articles.
- Design and create original graphic elements, including infographics, charts, graphs, animated GIFs, and social-exclusive images.
- Ensure photos and graphics used have valid licenses and/or legal clearances and are properly credited.
- Work with the social media editor to grow our user base through innovative, unique, and engaging images on Student Loan Hero’s social media accounts.
- Successfully monitor and analyze website/social traffic and engagement and make suggestions on photo and image placement.
- Develop and refine the Student Loan Hero editorial brand book and style guidelines.
- Collaborate with other teams across the organization, including but not limited to Content, Analytics, Outreach, Product, and Marketing.
- Stay up to date on visual trends happening in digital media and in the larger design community.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
What’s it like to work on the Student Loan Hero team?
Student Loan Hero is a fully remote team. We have team members all over the world, in cities including NYC, Austin, Los Angeles, Santiago, and St. Petersburg, Russia.
Since we’re located all over the world, communication using Slack, Gmail, Jira, Zoom, and other tools is key for us. Don't worry—you won't be alone. We communicate regularly throughout the day.
Because we’re a growing company, most team members wear multiple hats, giving you tremendous learning and development opportunities. We believe in giving our team members autonomy to work on projects that interest them, and we place value on the output of each team member, not on the number of hours you spend working.
Transparency plays a large part in our culture and values. We believe team members should collaborate and communicate, not compete or engage in office politics.
We also like to make work as fun as possible and “embrace the weird” about ourselves. We encourage our team to grow both personally and professionally, which is why we offer wellness and educational stipends as well as several other great perks.
Above all, we’re proud to work on meaningful projects that impact the financial health of millions of people.
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. without sponsorship is required.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 3 to 5+ years of photo editing and graphic design experience is required.
- High level of experience with Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, and other graphic design software.
- Experience with creating original graphics and images for use on websites and social media.
- Adept at working in a CMS such as Wordpress
- Understanding of visual social media strategy as well as social platforms (including Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram).
- Experience managing photo budget, payment, and contracts for photo vendors preferred.
- Ability to create basic video assets and animated gifs is a plus.
- Self-starter with the ability and desire to work under limited supervision.
- Strong project management skills.
- Familiarity with data tools (e.g., Google Analytics, social media insights/posting tools like Shareablee, Hootsuite, Meet Edgar, Sprout, Tailwind, etc.).
- High level of attention to detail.
- Experience in working remotely (preferred)
- Availability to travel up to one week per quarter for work-related activities and events (required)
The Interview Process:
- Preliminary phone screen
- Trial Assignment
- One-on-one interview
- Group interview
- Reference check
- Competitive salary: Based on experience and location.
- Equity: We’ll give you vested shares in the company.
- Vacation: Unlimited.
- Flexible hours: Work when you’re most productive.
- Work remotely: Work from wherever you want in the world. (Costa Rica, anyone?)
- New equipment: We’ll hook you up with a brand-new MacBook Pro and a $1,000 technology stipend to purchase a desk or whatever helps you work.
- Remote workspace: We’ll pay up to $500 per month for a co-working space.
- Wellness: We cover 100% of premiums for employees and dependents on a silver-level health insurance plan. You’ll also get up to $150 per month for a gym membership, fitness classes, nutrition counseling, weight loss program, nutritious food delivery service, acupuncture, massages, workout equipment, or race registrations.
- Continuing education: Up to $100 per month for courses, books, or anything you’d like to learn!
- Financial contribution: Receive a 100% match of up to 3% of your annual salary to a retirement account as well as a 100% match of up to $2,000 toward student loan repayment assistance.