Brooklyn, NY or Remote (EST time zone work hours)
StrongArm is the world’s leading safety science company. Our mission is to keep every Industrial Athlete Proud, Protected, and Productive. We use wearable IoT technology to collect worker safety data that has never been available before, and apply it on both a widespread and granular scale. Our Data Engineering team works to unlock this data to improve the lives of our end users, reduce workplace injuries, and reinvent workplace safety.
As a Senior Data Engineer at StrongArm you will play a vital role in delivering key features and capabilities to our Safety Platform. You will be leading ETL pipeline development, working with data scientists to productionize algorithms, building out tooling and data warehousing capability for analysts, and innovating data platform capability to accommodate massive customer growth. As a member of the Data Engineering Team, you will have access to a massive dataset of IoT sensor data focused on improved workplace safety. You will be a key player in productionizing new features that deliver safety insights to improve the lives of the industrial athletes we serve.
In this role, you will be highly collaborative - with our Data Team, Product Team, and other engineering teams. Interpersonal skills and the ability to learn and act quickly are crucial to succeeding in this role.
The ideal candidate for this position has a background in a variety of data engineering systems including streaming systems, ETL, data warehousing, and statistical modeling, and is proficient in software engineering best practices. This individual will enjoy building and optimizing highly technical big data systems, keeping up with the latest tools and techniques, and collaborating with a small team. We are looking for a self-starter who has the desire to be the go-to person for data engineering in a fast-growing start-up making a tangible difference on working people’s lives.
- Building a highly scalable system for ingesting, transforming, and enhancing trillions of data points in the field into meaningful insights
- Partner with the Data Science team to investigate and implement advanced statistical models and machine learning pipelines
- Provide leadership to the team on best practices and architecture in Big Data systems and Machine Learning pipelines
- Optimizing data pipelines for performance and scalability
- Work with data analysts to productionize queries and data in data warehouses, data lakes, and OLAP systems
- Work with data scientists to productionize machine learning models
- Establish automated mechanisms to monitor and improve data integrity across all of StrongArm’s Big Data sets.
- Be a primary contributor in defining a data engineering roadmap, and coordinating multiple projects.
- Development leadership experience or desire to acquire that experience and mentor others
- 5+ years experience in data engineering, with emphasis on: stream processing, machine learning engineering, hadoop
- Architecting data pipelines and ETL with Apache Spark with terabytes of data and optimizing them to maximize resource utilization and throughput
- Experience with distributed data streaming frameworks like Spark Structured Streaming, Apache Flink, Kafka, etc
- OLAP system experience (Clickhouse, Pinot, Druid, etc)
- Data warehouse usage and optimization experience (Delta Lake, Hive, BigQuery, RedShift, Snowflake)
- Scala, Java, or Python proficiency
- Advanced Experience with RDBMS and SQL
- Experience with automated testing for distributed systems in Spark (unit testing, end to end testing, QA, CI/CD)
- Experience working directly with Data Scientists to productionize experimental algorithms.
- Experience productionizing machine learning at scale and A/B testing new models: scikit-learn, tensorflow, pytorch
- Experience working with Embedded Systems (C++)
- Cloud systems: Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Experience using workflow management systems like Airflow or equivalent
- Experience with BI tools (Looker, Superset, Tableau, Power BI, Redash, Sisense, Metabase)
- Experience building systems with data governance
- Experience building interfaces compatible with both Cloud and low-level IoT hardware (SWIG)
- Experience building systems to train machine learning models at terabyte+ scale.
- You are self-starting to work on a hyper-motivated team to take on real challenges to create real value and impact to industrial workers who suffer from the lack of tools to enhance their health and safety.
- You want to work with A-players, where you will grow both personally and professionally while working on challenging problems.
- Ability to think with an eye to high level architecture and the ability to execute on the steps towards those goals
- You have solid engineering principles which will positively influence the development process in complex projects.
- Proven ability to work and problem-solve independently, collaboratively, and creatively
- Strong organizational, communication, and presentation skills
- Adaptable to changing business needs
StrongArm Technologies is an equal opportunity employer.