Join our Family
Stride Consulting is a mission-driven, employee-focused, engineering-centric company. We seek senior developers who enjoy mentoring others, place a high value on continuous learning, and value diversity. If you consider yourself a non-dogmatic engineer, have a thirst for learning, and an eye for process, you’ll be in great company.
Our mission is to Teach the World to Stride! To us, that means bringing flexible viewpoints on engineering best practices to our clients. Our goal is to leave our client teams functioning at a higher level than when we found them.
We do this by writing high quality code alongside our clients’ development teams, as well as mentoring their developers, product teams and stakeholders in software development best practices. Above all, we help our clients iterate on their Agile engineering practices in a way that’s fluid and business-value driven.
We believe that Agile and XP practices, including Test Driven Development, Pair Programming, and Retrospectives, are the foundation of a high functioning software team. We also know, from experience, that each Agile practice adds different business value to each team. So, we approach each engagement as the unique opportunity it is. We seek first to understand and work with our clients to meet them where they are at.
As a Strider, you’ll find an opportunity that’s unmatched. You will:
- Be part of an engineering-driven culture, one that has a 4.9 star Glassdoor review, one that’s won Crain’s Best Places to Work 2 years in a row, one that is employee-run and owned.
- Write high-quality code with some of the smartest engineers in town.
- Have the opportunity to mentor and manage a Stride team, if this is something you are interested in.
- Immerse yourself in a learning journey that’s second to none. No where else will you find the variety that being a consultant brings, all a subway ride away.
- Mentor and be mentored. Learning and teaching weave a thread through all that we do.
Day In The Life of a Senior Software Engineer
As a Strider, you’ll co-locate and work onsite at your client (all are in NYC). We are proud to call some of the most outstanding tech teams in NYC our clients, ranging from funded startups to Fortune 500.
You are empowered to define what work/life balance means to you. You are accountable to set expectations with your team. Every day for every Strider is different.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you can expect to be on client engagements. Your work week will likely involve 70%-80% client work, including coding, and various Agile ceremonies. The rest of your time will be spent on strategic initiatives that you and your manager create together. They might include: managing a team of Striders, taking on the engagement lead role on your client, owning company-level strategic initiatives, being an external thought leader by blogging, giving talks or recording podcasts, or running one of Stride’s committees (diversity, podcast, fellowship, Stride U).
Here’s how one day might unfold:
9am: One-on-one meeting with the client’s CTO. Senior Engineers at Stride Consulting have the opportunity be take on the role of engagement lead. I’ve taken on the challenge and today’s my weekly meeting with our cilent’s CTO. We go over the plans for the week ahead and we give each other feedback. I take notes so I can relay the info to the Stride team.
10am: Daily Standup. I’m at work at the client’s office. They’ve got a really cool setup with dual monitors and nice pairing stations. I’m on a team of 4 Striders and 4 client developers. Our Product Manager kicks off the Standup. It lasts about 5 minutes and then we’re off to code.
10:10-12:30 Pair Programming. This morning, I’m pairing with another Strider. My pair is a mid-level Stride engineer. She’s been coding 3 years, and she’s got strong fundamentals. We’re doing a deep dive into complex backend code and she’s driving, I’m navigating. I’m giving a few pointers and asking questions when I see she gets stuck. She noticed a refactoring opportunity and we spent about 30 minutes refactoring a big piece of code together.
12:30-1:30 Lunch with my team Every Strider gets a company AmEx. We’re encouraged to grab lunch, coffee with our team and our client team to get to know each other and talk through what we’ve seen and learned. Today, the Stride team grabs lunch. There are 4 Striders and 2 client devs. We do talk business for about 30 minutes and the rest of the time we talk about rock climbing and cool new strategy board game Derek bought last week.
1:30-4:00 Pair Programming
4- 5:Sprint Retrospective Retrospectives on my team are really amazing. We take turns facilitating, and today we’re retrospecting our last release. I’ve never facilitated a retrospective before, but my goal is to facilitate one this June. We have a nice rhythm and walk away with action items and confidence in the path ahead.
5-6: Stride U DevOps Jam Stride U is ongoing education for Striders by Striders. We’ve got 6 courses created. Each are about 8 hours long. Seven of us are taking the DevOps Jam course now, it’s 1 hour weekly, for 8 weeks. DevOps is something I’m dipping a toe in and having a safe space to learn real world stuff that I can bring back to my client is amazing.
6pm: Leave for the Day. It’s been a good day, I throw on my headphones as I head to the subway.
What you’ll be doing
Your job: write high quality code, and bring a ‘teach a team to fish’ mentality to your project team. You will:
- Embed with development teams in some of NYC’s most exciting startup, mid-market and enterprise companies to help them up their game and get stuff done.
- Mentor teams on the value of software development best practices like Test Driven Development (TDD), Pair Programming, Collective Code Ownership, Continuous Deployment, and Continuous Improvement
- Be the reason your client teams are higher performing on your last day with them than they were on your first day.
- Lead or be part of a cross functional team that includes Striders (likely 2-6 Strider engineers plus sometimes a product manager) and client employees (likely engineers and other tech roles).
- Take on engagement lead responsibility if you choose.
- Take on engineering management responsibility if you choose.
- Work with and learn a variety of tech stacks, and a see a variety of tech teams, during your tenure at Stride. We embed with teams who write code in modern tech stacks such as Ruby on Rails, React, Angular, Python, Scala, Java8, Elixir, Node and more.
You’re a fit for Stride Consulting if you have:
- At least 4 years of professional software development experience
- Proficiency in multiple programming languages and ability to quickly gain proficiency in unfamiliar languages
- Desire to guide team strategy
- Passion for seeing projects through from inception to deployment
- Experience teaching TDD, story estimation, test writing, and effective pair programming
What you can expect from us:
- Continuous learning on things that you are passionate about
- Competitive Pay and Benefits (including Profit Sharing!)
- Empowerment to work at a self-defined sustainable pace
- Awesome culture - We have a 5 star rating on Glassdoor and are one of Crain’s 100 best places to work in NYC
- No travel
- We will invest $2,000 and up to two weeks of your time in self-directed professional development