Join our Family
Stride Consulting is a mission-driven, engineering-centric company. We seek developers who place a high value on continuous learning, and value diversity. If you consider yourself a non-dogmatic engineer, have a thirst for learning, and an eye for process, you’re in great company.
Our goal is to leave our clients functioning at a higher level than when we found them. We do this by writing high quality code alongside them, and by mentoring their developers, product teams and stakeholders in software development best practices.
We believe that practices like Test Driven Development, Pairing and Refactoring are the foundation of a high functioning software team. And, we believe that not all Agile practices provide equal value to all teams at all times. So, we approach each engagement as the unique opportunity it is.
As a Strider, you’ll find an unmatched opportunity. You will:
- Be a senior member of an engineering-driven culture, one that is employee owned, has a 4.9 star Glassdoor review, and has won Crain’s Best Places to Work 2 years in a row.
- Write high-quality code with some of the smartest engineers in town.
- Mentor and manage a Stride team
- Manage projects:
- Create technical engagement strategy with Stride’s account team
- Form trust with client leadership
- Help structure how the project is run, including Agile process and development/architecture decisions
Day In The Life of an Engineering Manager
You are empowered to define what work/life balance means to you. You’ll work onsite at your client in NYC. We are proud to call some of the most outstanding tech teams our clients.
Your work week will involve 60%-80% client work (coding, managing a Stride team, and running the engagement). The rest of your time will be spent on strategic initiatives.
A sample day:
9am: Weekly Sprint Planning. Me and the client Product Owner co-run weekly sprint planning. We’ve got the meeting down to a nice rhythm. We walk away with a plan.
10am: Daily Standup.
10:10-12:30 Pair Programming. This morning, I’m pairing with another Strider, a mid-level engineer. She’s got strong fundamentals. We’re doing a deep dive into complex backend code. She’s driving, I’m asking questions when I see she gets stuck. She noticed inefficient code and we spent about 20 minutes refactoring.
1:30-3:00 Pair Programming
3:00-3:30 Mob programming A team member gets stuck on a piece of code. I sit down with Jean and his pair. We call over 2 other developers and we mob program. We figure out a plan and everyone is excited about the collaboration.
3:30-4:30 Mind Map Over the past two months, I’ve observed the team’s strengths and areas for improvement. Today, I’m leading a Mind Mapping session with the Striders. We visually organize areas for improvement. We prioritize each item by complexity and importance. Next Monday, I’m presenting this to the client CTO.
4:30- 5: Code Review Today, one of the Striders was coding solo. So, I sit down and review her code.
5-6: Stride U DevOps Jam Stride U is ongoing education for Striders by Striders. Seven of us are taking the DevOps Jam course now, it’s 1 hour weekly, for 8 weeks. DevOps is something I’m dipping a toe in and having a safe space to learn real world stuff that I can bring back to my client is amazing.
6pm: Leave for the Day. It’s been a good day, I throw on my headphones as I head to the subway.
About your job at Stride
Your job: write high quality code, and bring a ‘teach a team to fish’ mentality to your project. You will:
- Embed with tech teams in some of NYC’s most exciting startup, mid-market and enterprise companies to help them up their game and get stuff done.
- Mentor and manage both Strider and client teams on the value of software development best practices like Test Driven Development (TDD), Pair Programming, Collective Code Ownership, Continuous Deployment, and Continuous Improvement
- Be the reason your client teams are higher performing on your last day with them than they were on your first day.
- Lead and be part of a cross functional team of Striders and client employees.
- Work with, learn and teach others a variety of tech stacks such as Ruby on Rails, React, Angular, Python, Scala, Java8, Elixir, Node and more.
You’re a fit if you have:
- 6+ years of software development experience, including 1 year as a lead developer or manager
- Proficiency in multiple programming languages and ability to quickly gain proficiency in unfamiliar languages and frameworks
- Desire to guide team strategy
- Passion for seeing projects through from inception to deployment
- Experience teaching TDD, story estimation, test writing, and effective pair programming
What you can expect from us:
- Continuous learning on things that you are passionate about
- Competitive Pay and Benefits (including Profit Sharing!)
- Empowerment to work at a self-defined sustainable pace
- Awesome culture
- No travel
- $2,000 and up to two weeks of your time for self-directed professional development
About Stride Consulting
Stride Consulting is NYC’s go-to Agile software development consultancy.
Our mission: Teach the World to Stride! We believe that high functioning development teams give an organization a true competitive advantage. We help tech teams up their game, and become the highest functioning version of themselves in perpetuity.
We do this by co-locating and literally coding side-by-side with our clients. We come to you. The love for technical mentorship weaves a thread through all that we do. We not only advocate for best practices in software development, we model the way. Our non-dogmatic Agile developers and product managers teach through doing, because we know that every tech team is unique in their challenges and opportunities.
We are employee owned & run, and profitable. This means we don’t have a board of directors to answer to or investors who need to make a return. We are in control of our growth and can do so at a pace that sustains our culture and prioritizes the happiness of our employees.