Join our Family
Stride Consulting is a mission-driven, engineering-centric company. We seek developers who place a high value on continuous learning, and value diversity. If you consider yourself a non-dogmatic engineer, have a thirst for learning, and an eye for process, you’ll be in great company.
Our goal is to leave our client teams functioning at a higher level than when we found them. We do this by writing high quality code alongside our clients’ development teams, as well as mentoring their developers, product teams and stakeholders in software development best practices.
We believe that practices like Test Driven Development, Pairing and Refactoring are the foundation of a high functioning software team. And, we believe that not all Agile practices provide equal value to all teams at all times. So, we approach each engagement as the unique opportunity it is.
As a Strider, you’ll find a learning opportunity that’s unmatched. You will:
- Be part of an engineering-driven culture, one that has a 4.9 star Glassdoor review and has won Crain’s Best Places to Work 2 years in a row.
- Write high quality code with some of the smartest engineers in town.
- Immerse yourself in a learning journey that’s second to none. No where else will you find the variety that being a consultant brings, all a subway ride away.
- Mentor and be mentored. Learning weaves a thread through all that we do.
Day In The Life of a Stride Software Engineer
You’ll co-locate and work onsite at your client (all are in NYC). We are proud to call the most outstanding tech teams in NYC our clients, ranging from funded startups to Fortune 500.
You are empowered to define what work/life balance means to you. Every day for every Strider is different. Here’s how one day might unfold:
9am: One-on-one with my manager. We grab coffee at Stumptown and talk about my career goals. I’m noodling on a complex React story and I get my manager’s take. We walk away with action items for next week’s one-on-one.
10am: Daily Standup. I’m at work at the client’s office. They’ve got a really cool setup with dual monitors and nice pairing stations. I’m on a team of 4 Striders and 4 client developers. Our Product Manager kicks off the Standup. It lasts about 10 minutes and then we’re off to code.
10:10-12:00 Pair Programming. I’m pairing with another Strider. We continue working on the React story from the day before. We have questions for the Product Manager that we ask via Slack.
12:00-12:30 Travel to Stride
12:30-1:30 Lunch-n-Learn. Today, Stride’s got a Lunch-n-Learn on Terraform Cloud that I’m psyched about. Stacey, one of our senior engineers, is leading the session. We hold Lunch-n-Learns every few weeks and I go to about half of them.
1:30-1:45 Travel back to the client’s office.
1:45-2:45 Retrospective. Retrospectives on my team are amazing. Today we’re retrospecting our last release. I’ve never facilitated a retrospective before, but my goal is to facilitate one this June. We have a nice rhythm and walk away with action items and confidence in the path ahead.
2:45-6 Pair Programming. I get in a few more hours of coding. This afternoon, my pair is Amy, a junior dev who works for the client. I love mentoring and am really excited to have this time to mentor Amy. I’ve been coding about 3 years myself, so at first the idea of mentoring someone else gave me imposter syndrome, but the Stride approach is fluid and allows for flexibility and it’s been a huge career learning experience for me.
6pm: Leave for the Day. It’s been a good day, I throw on my headphones as I head to the subway.
What you’ll be doing
Your job: write high quality code, and bring a ‘teach a team to fish’ mentality to your project. You will:
- Embed with development teams in some of NYC’s most exciting companies to help them up their game and get stuff done.
- Advocate for non-dogmatic Agile software development best practices like Test Driven Development (TDD), Pair Programming, Collective Code Ownership, Continuous Deployment, and Continuous Improvement.
- Be part of a cross functional team that includes Striders (likely 2-6 Strider engineers plus a product manager) and client employees (likely engineers and other tech roles).
- Work with a variety of tech stacks, and a see a variety of tech teams. We embed with teams who write code in modern tech stacks such as Ruby on Rails, React, Angular, Python, Scala, Java8, Elixir, Node and more.
You’re a fit for Stride if you have:
- 3+ years of software development experience
- Experience in multiple programming languages
- Excitement to learn new languages and frameworks
- Experience with TDD, story estimation, test writing, and pair programming
What you can expect from us:
- Continuous learning on things that you are passionate about
- Competitive Pay and Benefits (including Profit Sharing!)
- Empowerment to work at a self-defined Sustainable Pace
- No travel
- $2,000 and up to two weeks of your time for self-directed professional development