Stream is looking for a Lead Android Developer to head up our SDK development for Feeds, Chat, and Video SDKs. Our SDKs are used by thousands of companies and over a billion end users.
Building SDKs is a little different from building apps. It takes excellent engineering to build an SDK that other engineers want to use. Our Android SDKs use Kotlin, Compose and StateFlow. The source code for SDKs is public on Github, giving you the opportunity to showcase the quality of your work: stream-chat-android
For this role, we’re hiring in Amsterdam or remotely (EMEA).
What will you be doing
As a Lead Developer, you spend most of your time on engineering and programming. You will also mentor your team and support them in their growth, set the technical vision for the SDK, work closely with the product team, and collaborate with other engineering teams.
- You are building SDKs that other developers use. This sets a very high bar in terms of code quality.
- Our SDKs are used by some of the world’s largest apps. Stability, performance, and world-class documentation are essential.
- Since we provide APIs & SDKs that thousands of companies use, we can and should optimize to a very high-quality level.
- 5+ years of experience as an Android developer
- 2+ years writing Kotlin
- 2+ years of experience in an engineering leadership role
- Experience with reactive systems like Jetpack Compose. (Related experience on React, React Native, SwiftUI, or Flutter is also relevant)
- A passion for ensuring quality by writing pragmatic automated tests
- Attention to user experience details - visual look and feel
- Experience with developing SDK libraries or maintaining open-source projects
- Experience with testing on Android
- Published libraries to Maven Central
Our tech stack
At Stream, we use a wide collection of technologies to offer our customers highly optimized and available features. Over the years, we have experimented with different programming languages, frameworks, databases, and libraries. Here is a short list of the technology that we currently use. Do not worry if you do not master them all or if you do not see your favorite tool or language; you will have the chance to be exposed to most and convince us to expand the list:
- Go, gRPC, RocksDB, Python
- Postgresql, RabbitMQ
- AWS, Puppet, CloudFormation
- Grafana, Graphite, ELK, Jaeger
- Redis, Memcached
Why join Stream?
- History of success. From Amsterdam to Boulder and Techstars in-between, Stream has raised over $58.25M to build the best Chat Messaging & Activity Feed infrastructure available, with best-in-class support.
- Freedom and endless growth opportunities. As a rapidly growing startup (since 2020 we have gone from 30 to 120 employees), Stream gives you unique personal and professional growth opportunities. The opportunity of true ownership and accountability has a massive impact on your career. These are the things you can rarely experience in huge corporations.
- Be on the front line of progress and innovation. While working with cutting-edge technology, we are passionate about tackling difficult tech problems at scale and creating reusable components for them, empowering engineering teams to ship apps faster, more securely, and with a better user experience.
- They believe in us: Stream is backed by leading VC companies (Felicis Ventures, GGV Capital, 01.Advisors, Techstars, Arthur Ventures), including backers like Dick Costolo (01 Advisors, ex-CEO of Twitter), Olivier Pomel (CEO of Datadog), Tom Preston-Werner (Co-Founder of GitHub), Nicolas Dessaigne (Co-Founder of Algolia), Johnny Boufarhat (Founder and CEO of Hopin).
What we have to offer you
Stream employees enjoy some of the best benefits in the industry:
- A team of exceptional engineers
- The chance to work on OSS projects
- 28 days paid time off plus paid Dutch holidays
- Company equity
- A pension scheme
- A Learning and Development budget
- NS business card or a company bike covered
- Fitness stipend
- MacBook Pro provided
- Healthy team lunches and plenty of snacks
- A generous relocation package
- An office in the heart of Amsterdam
- The possibility to visit our office in Boulder, CO
Note: this list of benefits applies to Netherlands-based employees and is adjusted per your location of residence.
Stream has a casual social culture, our team is diverse, and we all have different backgrounds. Now, Stream is a team of over 130+ peers from over 35 countries across the globe.
We value transparency, aim for excellence, and support each other on our way to new victories.
Our team consists of the strongest talents worldwide, making Stream a great place to learn and improve your skills.
When it comes to software engineering, our culture is oriented towards ownership and quality: our goal is to deliver stable software.
If you are interested in becoming a part of what we do, apply now!
Stream provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
No recruiters/agencies please