We are looking for a DevOps Engineer to join Stream on our mission of elevating the quality of apps for billions of users globally. You will be part of the team responsible for our AWS infrastructure.
This role is open either in our Amsterdam office or remote (EMEA).
What you will be doing
Most of your day will be spent working on AWS infrastructure and taking care of monitoring, logging, security, and automation.
You will also work on improving our system observability, operations for performance and maintenance tasks.
Our team is made up of very experienced engineers, some with decades of experience. By working together, you will learn from each other along the way.
You will have an enormous impact on making our API service faster, more scalable, and more reliable. Our AWS infrastructure spans across 13 different regions. We store billions of records and serve over two billion end-users around the world.
For both Feeds and Chat, we run our own distributed K/V storage written in Golang.
- 3+ years of commercial experience
- Managed instances in the cloud
- Experience with scripting languages
- Ability to manage network infrastructure (Setting up VLAN & Network segmentation)
- Skills in Linux system administration and hardening
- Experience with Infrastructure as a Code and tools such as: Puppet, Docker, Ansible, Chef, Terraform, Cloudformation
- Production experience with AWS, K8S and Docker
- Worked with live distributed systems
- Experience scaling high traffic websites or API services
- Experience with NewSQL/NoSQL databases
Our tech stack
At Stream, we use a wide collection of technologies to offer highly optimised and available features to our customers. Here is a shortlist of the technology that we currently use:
- Golang, Python
- Postgresql, RocksDB, CockroachDB
- AWS, Puppet, CloudFormation, Ansible
- Grafana, Graphite, ELK, Prometheus, OpenTelemetry
- Redis, Etcd
Why join Stream?
- History of success. From Amsterdam to Boulder and Techstars in-between, Stream has raised over $58.25M to build the best Chat Messaging & Activity Feed infrastructure available, with best-in-class support.
- Freedom and endless growth opportunities. As a rapidly growing startup (since 2020 we have gone from 30 to 150 employees), Stream gives you unique personal and professional growth opportunities. The opportunity of true ownership and accountability has a massive impact on your career. These are the things you can rarely experience in huge corporations.
- Be on the front line of progress and innovation. While working with cutting-edge technology, we are passionate about tackling difficult tech problems at scale and creating reusable components for them, empowering engineering teams to ship apps faster, more securely, and with a better user experience.
- They believe in us: Stream is backed by leading VC companies (Felicis Ventures, GGV Capital, 01.Advisors, Techstars, Arthur Ventures), including backers like Dick Costolo (01 Advisors, ex-CEO of Twitter), Olivier Pomel (CEO of Datadog), Tom Preston-Werner (Co-Founder of GitHub), Nicolas Dessaigne (Co-Founder of Algolia), Johnny Boufarhat (Founder and CEO of Hopin).
- Complete location and working hours flexibility. If you prefer working from the office, working 100% remotely, combining both, or relocating to our AMS office, you have total freedom to choose what works best for you and makes you happy. We’re here to support you in being productive and feeling part of the team, no matter where you are.
What we have to offer you
Stream employees enjoy some of the best benefits in the industry:
- A team of exceptional engineers
- The chance to work on OSS projects
- 28 days paid time off plus paid Dutch holidays
- Company equity
- A pension scheme
- Remote work flexibility
- A Learning and Development budget
- Commute expenses to Amsterdam covered or the option to use a company bike within the city
- Fitness stipend and weekly pilates sessions in the office
- Monthly in-office chair massages by a professional
- MacBook Pro and work-from-home stipend
- Healthy team lunches and plenty of snacks
- A generous relocation package
- An office in the heart of Amsterdam
- The opportunity to attend or present at global conferences and meetups
- The possibility to visit our office in Boulder, CO
- Parental leave paid at 100%
Stream has a casual social culture, our team is diverse and we all have different backgrounds. Now, Stream is a team of over 130+ peers from over 35 countries across the globe.
We value transparency, aim for excellence, and support each other on our way to new victories.
Our team consists of the strongest talents worldwide, making Stream a great place to learn and improve your skills.
When it comes to software engineering, our culture is oriented towards ownership and quality: our goal is to deliver stable software.
If you are interested in becoming a part of what we do, apply now!
Stream provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
No recruiters/agencies please