Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes our attitude and ambition: We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to build the most engaged community of athletes in the world. Every day, we’re searching for new ways to inspire athletes and make the sports they love even more fun. But it’s not only about achieving – we’re an inclusive team, dedicated to elevating each other and the members of our community. That balanced approach has helped us revolutionize our industry, and we’re just getting started. Millions of athletes are on Strava, millions more will come. When you’re ready for a challenge and a team that will support you along the way, join us.
About this Job
This is a full-time position at our new Denver, CO office.
As a senior web engineer at Strava, you will build our web applications and the API that supports our mobile applications. In this role, you will work across the breadth of Strava’s frontend and backend web applications. You will improve existing features and design new ones, and you will work closely with our engineering team to ensure these features are scalable and performant. You will support short-term feature velocity while also planning and executing longer-term web technology initiatives.
Please take a look at the links below to learn about the exciting work we are doing.
- The Engineering Blog covers a wide range of topics, from how we rebuilt our leaderboard systems to how we have refined our interview process.
- Strava Labs shows off some of our R+D efforts, and gives a sense of the power and scale of Strava’s datasets.
What we look for
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- Excellent programming skills with at least one backend language such as Ruby or Scala
- Track record of delivering end to end software for large, reliable, and scalable, consumer applications
- Experience with cloud-based services such as Amazon AWS
- Experience with modern web front-end development practices and technologies such as React
- Experience with relational or NoSQL databases such as MySQL, Redis, or Cassandra
- Experience with open source distributed systems technologies like Kafka, ZooKeeper, Finagle, Storm, Spark, Elasticsearch, Mesos, and Docker
- Experience with Ruby on Rails in production environments
Backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners, Jackson Square Ventures, and Go4it, Strava is expanding in order to exceed the needs of our community of global athletes. By joining our team, you will help push Strava forward in fresh, innovative ways. You will engage in interesting and challenging work that will improve the lives of our athletes every day. And in the same way that Strava is deeply committed to unlocking the potential of our athletes, we are dedicated to providing a world-class workplace where our employees can grow and thrive. Join us!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.