Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes our attitude and ambition: We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to build the most engaged community of athletes in the world. Every day, we’re searching for new ways to inspire athletes and make the sports they love even more fun. But it’s not only about achieving – we’re an inclusive team, dedicated to elevating each other and the members of our community. That balanced approach has helped us revolutionize our industry, and we’re just getting started. Millions of athletes are on Strava, millions more will come. When you’re ready for a challenge and a team that will support you along the way, join us.
About this role:
Millions of people are motivated by Strava every day. Our goal is to the be home of their athletic lives, capturing their activities, inspiring them every day, and making every activity count. If you would like to help lead the charge as we motivate the world’s community of active people, Strava is looking for an experienced Director of Engineering to drive engineering for several product development teams as well as be the Site Leader for our new office. This is a full-time position at our new Denver, CO office.
You will be responsible for building and leading a team of engineers, working cross functionally with their product development counterparts on some of our more business focused areas, as well as on improving the data integrity and trust that our community of athletes puts in our product. We are investing in this team and view this as an impactful opportunity for the right technical leader.
- Build and develop a team of top-notch engineers who are engaged by and excited about solving Strava’s biggest engineering challenges
- Collaborate with design, product management and analytics leaders to define and execute on the vision for Strava and the product engineering teams that you are responsible for
- Building trust and influencing a diverse group of business partners and engineers
- Drive development with a deep commitment to executing quickly, applying sound engineering and quality judgment to everything that your teams deliver
- Enable your organization to scale by setting direction and goals then empowering your team to make decisions.
- Influence company-wide technology decisions as a member of our engineering leadership team
- B.S. in computer science, statistics, mathematics or similar technical degree
- 6-10+ years of experience in software engineering
- Extensive experience with modern internet stacks, how they work and how they scale
- Experience building web, Android, and iOS experiences simultaneously
- 5+ years of experience in leading and managing high-performing engineering teams
- Experience with Agile/Scrum and balancing a process orientation with a results orientation to get things done efficiently and effectively
- Experience mentoring engineers and engineering managers to help them grow in their careers
- Proven track record of delivering features and functionality on time with high quality
- A proven ability to make difficult decisions, manage performance, and hold a high bar for the quality of the engineers who you lead
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; polished presenter to executive audiences
- A deep understanding of the business that we are in and a strong point of view about how to create that business
- Regular travel to our San Francisco headquarters will be required
- M.S. or PhD in computer science, statistics, mathematics or similar technical degree
Backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, Strava is expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. By joining our team, you will help push Strava forward in fresh, innovative ways. You will engage in interesting and challenging work that will improve the lives of our athletes every day. And in the same way that Strava is deeply committed to unlocking the potential of our athletes, we are dedicated to providing a world-class workplace where our employees can grow and thrive. Join us!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.