Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes our attitude and ambition: We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to build the most engaged community of athletes in the world. Every day, we’re searching for new ways to inspire athletes and make the sports they love even more fun. But it’s not only about achieving – we’re an inclusive team, dedicated to elevating each other and the members of our community. That balanced approach has helped us revolutionize our industry, and we’re just getting started. Millions of athletes are on Strava, millions more will come. When you’re ready for a challenge and a team that will support you along the way, join us.
About Strava Metro:
Strava Metro is a division of Strava with the mission to produce state-of-the-art spatial data products and services to make cycling, running, and walking in cities better. Strava Metro began as a research project in 2013 between Strava’s Hanover, NH office and the Oregon Department of Transportation. Today, Strava Metro provides critical insights to over 100 regional, state and municipal customers around the world, from Queensland, Australia to the State of Texas to Transport for London. And the Metro team is composed of dedicated individuals who are motivated by the opportunity to build a scalable business and by the desire to have a positive social impact. As proud as we are of what Strava Metro has been able to accomplish to-date, we believe Metro has a huge opportunity for future growth and impact with the right leadership in place.
About the GM role:
Strava is seeking an experienced General Manager with entrepreneurial instincts to lead the Metro team and shape the future direction of Strava Metro. The GM will manage all of the functional departments of Strava Metro, from Marketing and Sales to Customer Success to Engineering, Product and Design. Today, the Metro team has members based in San Francisco, Minneapolis and Hanover. The GM position location is open to San Francisco, CA or Hanover, NH.
- Own the strategic vision for Strava Metro
- Shape the Metro Team’s org structure to align with this vision and manage and drive recruiting of new team members
- Set priorities and milestones for the Metro team to meet growth and profitability objectives
- Establish goals and KPIs which set direction for the team; review analyses of KPIs to determine the team’s progress toward goals
- Oversee the product roadmap by reviewing and supporting engineering, product management and design team
- Establish plans and resources for sales execution and to develop new markets and channels, including partnerships with 3rd party data platforms
- Review and approve preparation of financial analysis for reporting and budget planning and implementation
- Collaborate and build effective relationships with teams across Strava.
- Present and report on the health of the Metro business to management and the Board.
- BA/BS degree and 7+ years of relevant experience
- Significant Public Sector enterprise software experience, having sold into local, state or national level government agencies with a solutions-oriented approach.
- Ability to think like an entrepreneur, developing long-term strategy and interim milestones within the context of a nascent and fast-growing market.
- Strong communicator who can articulate the team’s vision and products to internal colleagues as well as external partners and sales leads.
- Proven team lead and manager who can effectively coordinate and drive a disparate team spread across different time zones and functions.
- Willingness to travel to work with team members in other locations, as well as to meet domestic and international customers and sales leads.
- Experience working in startup and high-growth environments preferred.
- GIS data experience is preferred.
Backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Sigma Partners, Strava is expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. By joining our team, you will help push Strava forward in fresh, innovative ways. You will engage in interesting and challenging work that will improve the lives of our athletes every day. And in the same way that Strava is deeply committed to unlocking the potential of our athletes, we are dedicated to providing a world-class workplace where our employees can grow and thrive. Join us!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.