Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes our attitude and ambition: We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to build the most engaged community of athletes in the world. Every day, we’re searching for new ways to inspire athletes and make the sports they love even more fun. But it’s not only about achieving – we’re an inclusive team, dedicated to elevating each other and the members of our community. That balanced approach has helped us revolutionize our industry, and we’re just getting started. Millions of athletes are on Strava, millions more will come. When you’re ready for a challenge and a team that will support you along the way, join us.
About this role
We’re looking for a backend software engineer to work directly with our Growth product development team. You will work on a cross-functional team focused on user acquisition, activation, and retention to build the most engaged community of athletes in the world. As a backend engineer on the Growth team, you will build the systems and services that support the team’s rapid feature iteration, multivariate testing, and analytics capabilities.
In this role, you will work across the breadth of Strava’s backend systems. You will improve existing services and design new ones, and you will work closely with our Infrastructure engineering team to ensure these systems are reliable and performant. You will support short term feature velocity while also planning and executing longer term technology initiatives that will make experimentation more effective.
- Work with our Growth product development team to design, build, and maintain backend systems and services that support the team’s roadmap.
- Support web and mobile engineers as they integrate backend systems into product experiences.
- Proactively identify opportunities to improve our growth and experimentation infrastructure, tooling, and process.
- Provide strong technical feedback to other engineers through code reviews, engineering design reviews, and collaborative problem solving sessions.
What we look for
- B.S. in computer science or equivalent experience.
- Track record of delivering backend software in large, reliable, and scalable distributed systems.
- Experience with cloud-based services such as Amazon AWS.
- Experience with relational or NoSQL databases such as MySQL, Redis, or Cassandra.
- Excellent programming skills with at least one language such as Ruby or Scala.
- Experience with open source distributed systems technologies like Kafka, ZooKeeper, Finagle, Storm, Spark, Elasticsearch, Mesos, and Docker.
- Experience with Ruby on Rails.
Backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Sigma Partners, Strava is expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. By joining our team, you will help push Strava forward in fresh, innovative ways. You will engage in interesting and challenging work that will improve the lives of our athletes every day. And in the same way that Strava is deeply committed to unlocking the potential of our athletes, we are dedicated to providing a world-class workplace where our employees can grow and thrive. Join us!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.