Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes our attitude and ambition: We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to build the most engaged community of athletes in the world. Every day, we’re searching for new ways to inspire athletes and make the sports they love even more fun. But it’s not only about achieving – we’re an inclusive team, dedicated to elevating each other and the members of our community. That balanced approach has helped us revolutionize our industry, and we’re just getting started. Millions of athletes are on Strava, millions more will come. When you’re ready for a challenge and a team that will support you along the way, join us.
About the role:
Every day, Strava collects massive amounts of information from athletes all over the world. Both our core business strategies and product vision are fueled by this data. We are looking for an experienced data leader to help us unlock the potential of our dataset and transform our analytics capabilities from a shared service to a core asset. You will be responsible for building and leading a team of both analysts and data scientists to inform the overall strategy as well as establish the foundation for the next generation of data products.
Are you curious about how to get athletes to be more committed to their active lifestyle? Do you wish that you understood what makes athletes more active, making them more committed to their sports, and to achieving their goals? Would you like to help Strava build a great business with this community?
Join us and help us discover and unlock the potential of Strava’s highly engaged, fanatical, global community of athletes.
- Define and execute Strava’s long-term data strategy as well as short-term priorities to deliver immediate value
- Define and build the research program to unlock all of Strava’s data potential and improve our business
- Design, implement, and manage all of the tools and processes necessary to enable data-informed decision-making across the organization
- Build and develop a team of top-notch data analysts and scientists who are engaged by and excited about solving Strava’s biggest data challenges
- Foster a data culture within Strava through data fluency, self-service analytics, governance and empowerment, constant communication, and clear ROI
- Collaborate with data, platform, web, and mobile engineering teams to ensure that data is captured and available for reporting and analysis
- Uncover actionable insights about our global community of athletes, both for internal and external consumption; turn volumes of data into product features, partnership opportunities, and other strategic interests
- B.S. in computer science, statistics, mathematics or similar technical degree
- 6-10+ years of experience in data analyst, data scientist, or other quantitative roles
- 3+ years of experience in leading and managing high-performing teams
- Proven track record of founding analytics competencies within organizations
- Solid understanding of data science applications within consumer products
- Experience working with high-volume and/or streaming data sets
- Experience working with relational and NoSQL data stores
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; polished presenter to executive audiences
- Advanced SQL and Excel skills
- M.S. or PhD in computer science, statistics, mathematics or similar technical degree
- Sense of humor
Backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, Strava is expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. By joining our team, you will help push Strava forward in fresh, innovative ways. You will engage in interesting and challenging work that will improve the lives of our athletes every day. And in the same way that Strava is deeply committed to unlocking the potential of our athletes, we are dedicated to providing a world-class workplace where our employees can grow and thrive. Join us!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.