About the role
We are looking for an engineering intern who wants to learn what it takes to run the highly available, highly reliable, dynamically scaled online platform of a popular San Francisco start-up.
The Foundation engineering team at Strava exists to provide foundational tools, systems, and support to enable Strava to be reliable and performant for the athletes who rely on us. We build tools and infrastructure to support every engineer developing Strava. Engineers on the Foundation Team work on a very wide variety of projects and technologies; recent projects have ranged from rearchitecting and upgrading our logging infrastructure to redoing our internal request routing and load balancer architecture for performance and ease of use.
Interns at Strava are considered full members of the engineering team, and build software that gets deployed to millions of athletes. This past summer, interns at Strava: upgraded the schema of one of our largest datasets; performed a series of A/B tests to improve the athlete onboarding experience; upgraded our search infrastructure to Elasticsearch; build a new workout analysis feature on our mobile apps; and supported thousands of API Developers.
You're excited about this opportunity because you will:
- Improve the reliability and scalability of the Strava platform by increasing visibility into our production systems.
- Automate manual, repetitive, and redundant tasks.
- Design and implement systems upgrades with an eye toward availability, performance, and cost efficiency.
- Collaborate with, and incorporate feedback from other engineering teams.
- Participate in Strava Jams - four uninterrupted days to work on a project of your choosing.
- This is a 3 month Summer Internship.
We're excited about you because you are:
- Pursuing BS in Computer Science or related fields.
- Rising Senior (2023 grad).
- Experience with Linux shell, OSX terminal, or similar command line tools.
- Programming experience with at least one language such as Scala, Java, Ruby, or Python.
- Familiarity with version control.
- Disciplined approach to testing and quality assurance.
Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes our attitude and ambition: We're a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to build the most engaged community of athletes in the world. Every day, we're searching for new ways to inspire athletes and make the sports they love even more fun. But it's not only about achieving - we're an inclusive team, dedicated to elevating each other and the members of our community. That balanced approach has helped us revolutionize our industry, and we're just getting started. Millions of athletes are on Strava, millions more will come.
Backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Sigma Partners, Strava is expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. By joining our team, you will help push Strava forward in fresh, innovative ways. You will engage in interesting and challenging work that will improve the lives of our athletes every day. And in the same way that Strava is deeply committed to unlocking the potential of our athletes, we are dedicated to providing a world-class workplace where our employees can grow and thrive. Join us!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.