About This Role
Strava’s Trust and Safety team is looking for an early career, backend-focused engineer to help us build the tools and experiences that make the Strava platform an inclusive and trusted community. As a member of our team, you'll be working with a cross-functional group of engineers, product managers, designers, researchers, and analysts to keep our community engaged and safe. You will improve existing features and design new ones, both on the web and via the API that supports our mobile apps, and you will also build the capabilities that enable other product teams within Strava to ensure that their work meets the highest standards for user trust and safety.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will:
- Build, support, and own internal tools and athlete experiences that are powered by backend technologies like Scala microservices and Ruby on Rails.
- Make meaningful contributions to our community’s ability to participate on Strava in a controlled, informed, and safe manner.
- Work with and learn from the experienced engineers (and others) on our team and across the company.
- Directly impact the experience of tens of millions of athletes.
You will be successful here by:
- Taking ownership of your work, partnering with cross functional peers to ensure projects are properly scoped and implemented.
- Being someone who excels at user-centric product development and has a passion for making long-lasting products.
- Learning and approaching novel problems with an open mind; knowing how to leverage the experience of others, when to ask for help, and being comfortable stretching your comfort zone.
- Engaging in mentorship opportunities to help you grow as an engineer.
- Demonstrating empathy for athletes and their experience while using Strava.
We’re excited about you because:
- You have experience building production software in languages including (but not limited to) Ruby, Scala, Python, Java, etc.
- You are comfortable with client-server interactions, have a solid understanding of data structures, and basic familiarity with microservice architectures.
- You have worked in a collaborative environment where you review code from your peers and foster technical growth.
We'd love to talk to you about the future of Strava’s core technologies and your role in developing them. Please take a look at the links below to learn about the exciting work we are doing.
- The Engineering Blog covers a wide range of topics; from how we rebuilt our leaderboard systems; to how we have refined our interview process; to insiders’ perspectives on what it’s like to be an engineer at Strava.
- Strava Labs shows off some of our R+D efforts, and gives a sense of the power and scale of Strava’s datasets.
Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes who we are and what we do. We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to connect athletes to what motivates them and help them find their personal best. With more than 4 billion activity uploads from every country on the planet, we have a humbling and audacious vision: to be the record of the world’s athletic activities and the technology that makes every effort count.
Strava builds software that makes the best part of our athletes’ days even better. And just as we’re deeply committed to unlocking their potential, we’re dedicated to providing a world-class, inclusive workplace where our employees can grow and thrive, too. We’re backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, and we’re expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. Our culture reflects our community – we are continuously striving to hire and engage diverse teammates from all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives because we know we are a stronger team together.
In light of the global pandemic, Strava is currently working in a fully remote capacity. As always, we remain committed to fully supporting our employees, especially their mental health and wellbeing, through these challenging times. Despite challenges in the world around us, we are continuing to grow camaraderie and positivity within our culture and we are unified in our commitment to becoming an antiracist company. We are differentiated by our truly people-first approach, our compassionate leadership, and our belief that we can bring joy and inspiration to athletes’ lives — now more than ever. All to say, it’s a great time to join Strava!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
For more information on compensation and benefits, please click here.