About the Role:
Strava is the world’s largest athletic community and the social platform at the center of connected fitness. With 73 million athletes on Strava and 2 million more joining every month, we’re growing fast. The communications director reports to the V.P. of communications and will play a pivotal role in defining and executing the corporate, product and partner earned media communications strategies. You’ll also help grow and manage the team and will be a talented and enthusiastic strategist, leader and doer.
We’re passionate about you because you will:
- Develop and execute corporate communications, product communications, partner communications strategies to drive brand awareness, app installs and key business objectives.
- Cultivate and maintain deep relationships with business, tech and national press, key industry opinion leaders and external stakeholders.
- Work with executives and teams across Strava including finance, legal, design, engineering, product marketing, brand marketing, people and product.
- Represent the communications team in cross-functional teams to ensure alignment around business objectives and to advance broader company initiatives.
- Compose, research and edit communications materials including press pitches, press releases, OpEds, talking points and speeches/presentations for executives.
- Conceptualize, manage and execute large-scale data storytelling and research programs in collaboration with data analysts and academic institutions.
- Help build and develop the communications team as Strava grows.
- Help manage internal communications, all-hands content and prepare speakers.
We’re passionate about you because you have:
- 10+ years of experience that includes some combination of public relations, journalism, agency, political or in-house communications experience.
- A proven track-record of driving exceptional tier-one media placements with narrative control.
- Existing media relationships with business, tech, national and product reporters, editors and outlets.
- On the record experience.
- Strong people manager skills with experience leading small, agile, high-performing teams that scale.
- Experience managing multiple complex projects with high attention to detail.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Poise, calm and excellent judgment in high-stakes, high-consequence situations.
- Growth mindset.
Ideal Qualifications (We would like for you have):
- Experience building and scaling local communications teams in new markets.
In your cover letter, we would love to see:
What specifically interests you about this opportunity and why are you the best candidate to do it?
Please also provide:
- Links to stories you personally / directly placed in national media outlets, inclusive of broadcast.
- Clips/links for corporate comms and product feature stories you personally / directly placed in tech and business outlets.Links to stories where you’ve been quoted on the record.
- List of analysts and / or data reporters you’ve worked with.
- Samples of your very best writing--this can be a release, an OpEd, remarks you’ve prepared for an executive, talking points. Whatever will give us the best sense of your strengths as a written communicator.
Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes who we are and what we do. We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to connect athletes to what motivates them and help them find their personal best. And with billions of activity uploads from all over the world, we have a humbling and audacious vision: to be the record of the world’s athletic activities and the technology that makes every effort count.
Strava builds software that makes the best part of our athletes’ days even better. And just as we’re deeply committed to unlocking their potential, we’re dedicated to providing a world-class, inclusive workplace where our employees can grow and thrive, too. We’re backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, and we’re expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. Our culture reflects our community – we are continuously striving to hire and engage diverse teammates from all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives because we know we are a stronger team together.
In light of the global pandemic, Strava is currently working in a fully remote capacity. As always, we remain committed to fully supporting our employees, especially their mental health and wellbeing, through these challenging times. Despite challenges in the world around us, we are continuing to grow camaraderie and positivity within our culture and we are unified in our commitment to becoming an antiracist company. We are differentiated by our truly people-first approach, our compassionate leadership, and our belief that we can bring joy and inspiration to athletes’ lives — now more than ever. All to say, it’s a great time to join Strava!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
For more information on compensation and benefits, please click here.