About this Role
This role is on the Strava Metro Team. The team builds metro.strava.com, Strava’s data and insights platform which contextualizes the Strava dataset to help make cities better for anyone on foot or on a bike. Engineers are challenged both with helping build new features as well as improving existing features and technologies to scale with our ever-growing database of Metro partners and Strava activities. We are a collaborative and cross-functional team across engineering, product management, design, and partner support.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will:
- Build, support and own Strava Metro experiences that are powered by server technologies, like Scala microservices and Ruby on Rails, and database technologies like Cassandra and MySQL.
- You will use data processing tools like Spark to transform data from Strava’s billions of activities.
- Directly impact the experience of hundreds of Strava Metro partners working to improve transportation infrastructure for tens of millions of athletes.
- Collaborate with core Strava Geo engineers and other teams to make sure we are building scalable and reliable systems.
You will be successful here by:
- Being willing to explore and learn new technologies outside of your comfort zone.
- Demonstrating empathy for partners and their experience while using Strava Metro.
- Taking ownership of your work, partnering with cross functional peers to ensure projects are properly scoped and implemented.
- Engaging in mentorship opportunities to help you grow as an engineer.
We’re excited about you because you:
- Have experience working with languages like Scala or Java in a server environment, or server technologies like Ruby on Rails
- Have a product-focused mindset. Our team works together to deliver projects that use technology to solve real business problems.
- Are excited about using data to improve transportation infrastructure.
We'd love to talk to you about the future of Strava’s core technologies and your role in developing them. For more on Strava’s engineering team check out the Engineering Blog. It covers a wide range of topics, from how we rebuilt our leaderboard systems to personal perspectives on what it’s like to be an engineer at Strava.
Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes who we are and what we do. We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to connect athletes to what motivates them and help them find their personal best. And with billions of activity uploads from all over the world, we have a humbling and audacious vision: to be the record of the world’s athletic activities and the technology that makes every effort count.
Strava builds software that makes the best part of our athletes’ days even better. And just as we’re deeply committed to unlocking their potential, we’re dedicated to providing a world-class, inclusive workplace where our employees can grow and thrive, too. We’re backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, and we’re expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. Our culture reflects our community – we are continuously striving to hire and engage diverse teammates from all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives because we know we are a stronger team together.
In light of the global pandemic, Strava is currently working in a fully remote capacity. As always, we remain committed to fully supporting our employees, especially their mental health and wellbeing, through these challenging times. Despite challenges in the world around us, we are continuing to grow camaraderie and positivity within our culture and we are unified in our commitment to becoming an antiracist company. We are differentiated by our truly people-first approach, our compassionate leadership, and our belief that we can bring joy and inspiration to athletes’ lives — now more than ever. All to say, it’s a great time to join Strava!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.