About the Role
The Community Associate will be Strava’s connective tissue into the athletic community in Japan. This role will laser focus on developing and deploying the local community strategy. By forging relationships with key individuals, local groups and clubs, shops and partners you’ll help amplify community word of mouth, build the brand and ultimately drive growth and engagement.
The ideal candidate will be a savvy, grassroots marketer who is passionate about community building and engagement. You’ll have passion and expertise in endurance sports, whether that would be running, cycling, triathlon — or all of the above. You’ll have existing strong relationships within the endurance sports community and have a reputation as a social connector. You are a self-starter and have the ability to drive projects independently while working closely with the Japan Country Manager. This role also requires creative writing skills both in English and Japanese, budgeting skills, the ability to prioritize pragmatically, come up with an abundance of creative ideas to spark community engagement on the platform and most importantly, a love of sport and Strava.
What You'll Do
Create and execute an Advocacy Program
- Establish and develop an athletic community network program in Japan for Strava that aligns with the overall marketing strategy
- Build strong and authentic relationships with the most influential athletes that reflect the athletic culture of the territory
- Scale, measure and report on the impact of these relationships
Content Marketing & Activations
- Plan, create and deploy content marketing materials appropriate for both the local and global community
- Plan and activate marketing activities with key community partners including athlete groups, clubs, shops and events
- Scale, measure and report on the impact of content and activations
Support all things Japan
- Generate and synthesize local community insights for the Japan Country Manager and other internal stakeholders, including monthly reports on trends, events, key clubs and influencers, as well as opportunities and recommendations
- Work collaboratively with fellow Community Associates in other international markets, as well as with the wider brand marketing team based in the US and UK, to exchange ideas and tactics and maximize the impact of the work in Japan.
- Support the Japan Country Manager with operational needs, including responding to inbound inquiries, creating reports and presentations, and budgeting
- Be the Strava face for the local sports community, educating the community about Strava and collecting feedback about the brand and the product
Be a part of the global marketing effort
- Develop deep knowledge of Strava’s positioning in the market, in order to inform and shape locally impactful strategies that resonate with athletes across the community
- Surface locally relevant ideas to add awesome value to the athletic community
- Lift organic and earned brand awareness by amplifying local word of mouth advocacy to drive organic growth and engagement in the community
You are entrepreneurial, opportunistic and creative. You have strong relationships with athletes, shops and clubs, especially within the endurance sports world. There is no task too big or daunting. You chase opportunities with intensity and know how to solve any challenge with creative solutions. You are ambitious, curious, brave and not afraid to experiment. You are also dynamic, super organized and flexible enough to take on multiple projects at a time.
- You are an outgoing, highly personable embodiment of the brand. You know the key people in the sports and fitness industry — and they know you
- You are a highly organised multi-tasker who knows how to prioritize and self-manage your own work
- You understand the authentic athlete. You love to run, ride, swim and/or do other activities and know the most aspirational segment of the athletic community
- You have a growth-minded outlook. You can plan, build and execute marketing partnerships and events while thinking in performance metrics
About Your Background
- 3 - 5 years of experience in marketing or communication. Bachelor degree is preferred, but not necessary with the right kind of experience
- Fluency in English and Japanese is a must
- Experience in sports and fitness industry is highly valued
- Ability to pull events together, create communications plans, and know how to drive ideas forward with enthusiasm
- Possess a natural affinity for building community. People might also call you a local influencer within your community
- Proficiency in working with community monitoring software
- Ability to work within a global team in a fast-paced and dynamic environment with limited supervision
- Strong attention to detail with excellent time management and organization skills
- Ability to work with flexible timing during occasion of project work
- Japanese Driver’s License is required
Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes who we are and what we do. We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to connect athletes to what motivates them and help them find their personal best. And with billions of activity uploads from all over the world, we have a humbling and audacious vision: to be the record of the world’s athletic activities and the technology that makes every effort count.
Strava builds software that makes the best part of our athletes’ days even better. And just as we’re deeply committed to unlocking their potential, we’re dedicated to providing a world-class, inclusive workplace where our employees can grow and thrive, too. We’re backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, and we’re expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. Our culture reflects our community – we are continuously striving to hire and engage diverse teammates from all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives because we know we are a stronger team together.
In light of the global pandemic, Strava is currently working in a fully remote capacity. As always, we remain committed to fully supporting our employees, especially their mental health and wellbeing, through these challenging times. Despite challenges in the world around us, we are continuing to grow camaraderie and positivity within our culture and we are unified in our commitment to becoming an antiracist company. We are differentiated by our truly people-first approach, our compassionate leadership, and our belief that we can bring joy and inspiration to athletes’ lives — now more than ever. All to say, it’s a great time to join Strava!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.